today's Pick
Court dismisses Kihika petition
Publish Date: Aug 08, 2014
Court dismisses Kihika petition
The offices of Uganda Broadcasting Corporation (UBC) in Kampala.
  • mail
  • img
newvision

By Andante Okanya and Michael Odeng

COURT has revoked a court order issued earlier in favour of sacked acting managing director of state broadcaster Uganda Broadcasting Corporation (UBC) Paul Kihika, on  grounds that he misled court.

On Friday, the High Court in Kampala revoked the order after hearing an application filed by the corporation’s board of directors, to revoke the order.

The board relieved Kihika of his duties in a letter dated July 31, 2014. He took over office on May 20, 2012.

On Tuesday, Kihika was granted an ex-parte (one party) interim order, restraining the board from effecting the decision to remove him from office.

The order was vacated by the registrar of the civil division Charles Emuria, after hearing submissions by the UBC legal team led by Edwin Karugire.

“The application is hereby granted. The ex-parte interim order dated  August 5, 2014, is hereby vacated,” Emuria stated, and made no award of costs.

The registrar agreed with Karugire who submitted that Kihika’s entire case is hinged on a wrong interpretation of an interim order issued by the Constitutional Court in March 2012.

In the Constitutional Court petition number one of 2012, Justice Steven Kavuma halted the prosecution of three former UBC board members at the Anti-Corruption Court over graft charges.

Karugire noted that Kihika misinterpreted it to imply that the order prevented the appointment of a new board. He said the  ex-parte order was causing hardship to UBC.

He said Kavuma had clarified on the matter and put it to rest, that the Constitutional Court order did not extend to the administration of UBC.

“The acting Chief Justice has had occasion to clarify the extent of the order in the Constitutional petition. It does not extend to cases outside in the prosecution of Chris Katuramu, Edward Musinguzi Mugasa, and  Emmanuel Emoru,” Karugire noted.

He asserted that Kihika’s demand was in vain, as the removal had already occurred. Karugire said there was nothing for court to restrain, since Kihika had already been replaced by Eng. Angelo Nkezza.

The ruling was delivered in the presence of board chairman Nathan Nabeta, and board members Simom Kaheru, and Richard Barungi. Kihika who was in court earlier, did not return for delivery of the ruling.

Speaking shortly after delivery of the ruling, Kihika’s lawyer Henry Kyalimpa, told New Vision that all hope is not lost.

“We will wait for the main case to be fixed after the end of the court vacation,” Kyalimpa said.

The board members were ecstatic about the court ruling saying it had paved way for the board to execute its statutory duty.

The main application for judicial review filed by Kihika, challenging his sacking is pending before the court.

Related stories

Kihika petitions court to quash UBC sacking

UBC loses Basajja land case

Court demands explanation on disowned UBC board application

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
ICC releases four DR Congo war crimes suspect aides
The International Criminal Court on Tuesday ordered the interim release of four suspects in former Congolese vice president Jean-Pierre Bemba's case to avoid their pre-trial detention becoming "disproportionate"....
Museveni calls for political mobilization against Ebola
PRESIDENT Yoweri Museveni has expressed sadness at the loss of lives in West Africa due to the Ebola outbreak and said that the people of Uganda stand with their brothers and sisters...
Minister orders musician’s arrest over x-rated video
IRRITATED by the recently released X-rated music video of little known city singer Panadol Extra, Fr. Simon Lokodo, the Minister of Ethics and Integrity, ordered the arrest of the singer...
THE highly contagious Ebola virus, which has killed more than 4,500 people in west Africa since December and has fueled global alarm...
Ugandan rebels spread fear with DR Congo massacres
You sent soldiers to wipe us out, but here we are." That was the chilling message from Ugandan rebels during the latest massacre in the northeastern Democratic Republic of Congo, according to one survivor...
Mbabazi steps aside as NRM secretary general
National Resistance Secretary General, Amama Mbabazi, has taken leave of absence from office....
Do Ugandan tycoons prepare their children to take over their business empires?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter