Entertainment
Man seeking to sue Michael Jackson for abuse, five years after death
Publish Date: Aug 06, 2014
Man seeking to sue Michael Jackson for abuse, five years after death
Michael Jackson. PHOTO/ AFP
  • mail
  • img
newvision

LOS ANGELES - A Los Angeles man is seeking damages from the estate of Michael Jackson, alleging that the late "King of Pop" sexually abused him as a child during the late 1980s, court documents show.

James Safechuck, 36, said Jackson abused him on about 100 occasions over a four-year period after the two appeared in a Pepsi commercial when he was 10-years-old.


Filings by Safechuck's attorneys alleged that Jackson, who died in 2009, "brainwashed" the youngster into believing the abuses were "acts of love."


The documents said Safechuck regularly shared Jackson's bed during the singer's "Bad" tour in 1988. Safechuck said the abuse continued until he reached puberty.


A hearing has been scheduled in Los Angeles for September 4 before judge Mitchell Beckloff.


Howard Weitzman, a lawyer for the Jackson estate, said Safechuck's claims should be dismissed.
"Mr Safechuck's request to file a late claim against the Jackson Estate so he can recover money from Michael's beneficiary will hopefully be rejected," Weitzman said.


"This is a person that made his claim five years after Michael died, more than 20 years after the incidents supposedly happened and has given sworn testimony that Michael never did anything inappropriate to him."


Last year, a 31-year-old Australian, Wade Robson, launched a similar claim on Jackson's estate, alleging he was abused by the singer as a child.


Jackson, who died on June 25 2009 after being given an overdose of the anesthetic propofol, faced multiple allegations of child sex abuse during his lifetime.


He was acquitted of abuse at a 2005 trial in California and paid a $15 million court settlement in 1994 over allegations involving another child.


AFP

Related Stories

Michael Jackson's ex-wife says daughter Paris is 'devastated'

 

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Popular African TV soaps for Africa Magic
It is going to be more entertainment fanfare as Africa Magic, a foremost provider of African entertainment content on the continent, adds short format content like sitcoms, soaps, magazine and reality shows on their menu....
Chameleone lands lucrative iDroid deal as brand Ambassador
Ugandan music star Jose Chameleone has just put ink to paper on a one-year endorsement deal with iDroid USA, an international mobile gadgets manufacturer....
Kanye West apologizes to Beck for Grammy verbal attack
Hip-hop star Kanye West apologized Thursday to Beck after he loudly objected to the alternative rocker winning the Grammy for Album of the Year....
Lupita Nyong
The pearl-encrusted $150,000 dress worn by Kenyan star Lupita Nyong'o at the Oscars last weekend was stolen from the actress's Los Angeles hotel room....
Jaguza children’s choir glorify God through cultural vibes
Jaguza Children’s Choir has positioned itself comfortably as one of the favourite children’s gospel musical group....
Sony Pictures names new head of movie group
Sony Pictures Entertainment on Tuesday named Tom Rothman as new chairman of its motion picture group, a major move after a massive cyberattack devastated the entertainment giant....
Do you think government is doing enough to contain the typhoid out break?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter