World
China detains five in expired meat scandal
Publish Date: Jul 23, 2014
China detains five in expired meat scandal
The case involves expired meat sold to fast food giants including McDonalds
  • mail
  • img
newvision

SHANGHAI - Chinese police on Wednesday detained five people from a unit of US food supplier OSI Group, a statement said, in a case involving expired meat sold to fast food giants including McDonald's and KFC.

The Shanghai Public Security Bureau said the five included the company officials responsible. It said a quality manager was among them but did not name the five.

Shanghai authorities on Sunday shut an OSI plant for mixing out-of-date meat with fresh product, re-labelling expired goods and other quality problems, following an investigative report by a local television station.

The case has sparked calls for stronger regulation in a country which has seen repeated scandals over food and product safety.

The factory's other customers in China included restaurant operator Yum's Pizza Hut brand, coffee chain Starbucks, Burger King, 7-Eleven convenience stores and Papa John's Pizza, according to separate statements from the companies.

Outside mainland China, McDonald's Japan has confirmed it sourced about 20 percent of its McNuggets from the Shanghai factory.

Police acting "according to the law" detained the five from the Shanghai Husi Food Co., the statement said, referring to the OSI subsidiary which operated the factory.

Media reports had previously said police were questioning "several" employees. Shanghai television has shown a man described as the quality manager and another manager in meetings with government officials in the days after the closure.

China's official Xinhua news agency said police suspected Husi of taking "organised" action to carry out illegal production.

Police and Shanghai's food and drug agency had found out-of-date meat was used to make chicken nuggets and beef patties, as well as expired and mouldy beef for mini-steaks, it said.

OSI said on Monday that it was "appalled" by the allegations and announced it had formed its own team to investigate.

OSI's Shanghai factory, set up in 1996, had more than 500 workers with five production lines for items including pork, beef and chicken, according to the group's website.

The US company is a long-time supplier to McDonald's in China, starting from 1992, it said.

McDonald's chief executive Don Thompson said Tuesday that his company was cooperating with Chinese authorities who are investigating OSI.

"In this case, we do feel we were a bit deceived with respect to one of these plants," he said, as the company announced second-quarter results.

China's national-level food and drug administration has ordered an investigation of OSI's factories, which includes facilities in at least five provinces.

Responding to the latest food safety scandal to hit China, state-run media have taken aim at foreign brands, accusing them of double standards.

"Famous international brands have not adopted a dedicated attitude toward Chinese consumers," the Global Times newspaper said Tuesday.

AFP

Also related to this story

China shuts meat factory supplying McDonald's, KFC

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
European stocks on Ebola, eurozone concerns
Europe's main stock markets pulled back Friday on concerns over New York's first Ebola case and the outlook for the eurozone....
Mexico governor steps down over student disappearances
The governor of the Mexican state where 43 students vanished a month ago following a confrontation with police allegedly linked to a major drug cartel has bowed to pressure to stand down....
A doctor who recently returned to New York from treating Ebola patients in Guinea tested positive on Thursday for the deadly virus, the first confirmed case in the city, officials said....
Missing Mexico journalist found shot dead
THE editor of an investigative magazine in violence-wracked northwestern Mexico who disappeared two weeks ago was found dead with gunshot wounds...
Bashir calls opponents for talks
SUDAN'S President Omar al-Bashir has urged opponents to join him in 'national dialogue' talks, days after it was announced he would be seeking re-election...
Mexico says mayor, wife were behind student-teacher disappearances
A Mexican mayor and his wife were "probable masterminds" behind the disappearance of 43 student-teachers last month in the restive southwest, the country's attorney general said on Wednesday....
Should diplomatic passports issued to ex-govt workers be with drawn?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter