National
Mengo gets solar system to light Kasubi Tombs
Publish Date: Jul 18, 2014
Mengo gets solar system to light Kasubi Tombs
Katikiro Buganda Kingdom, Peter Mayiga showing a finished plan of the Bulange Plaza which former president Amin started at Bulange Mengo . PHOTO/ Peter Busomoke
  • mail
  • img
newvision

By Andrew Ssenyonga
 
Kasubi tombs is to switch all its facilities to solar power, the second deputy Katikkiro and minister for heritage, royal tombs & tourism, Muhamood Ssekimpi has revealed.
 
Ssekimpi made the revelation during a monthly inspection of Masengere Plaza works at Bulange Mengo, Kampala on Thursdady.
 
The inspection attracted a number of the Kingdom loyalists to assess the progress and contribute to the construction works of Masengere plaza.
 
A local firm, J W Technologies and UgaSolar suppliers donated a solar system worth sh8.2m to light up Kasubi Tombs.
 
 The package includes 4 solar panels, one hybrid invertor, and charge controller, a battery bank, wiring and fitting accessories.
 
Ssekimpi said that the installation of solar-powered lights along newly reconstructed Kasubi Tombs was one of the Kingdom’s climate-resilient projects.
 
By switching to solar in the kingdom cultural sites, the Katikkiro said they will save about sh200m every year on electricity bills for lighting alone.
 
He also revealed that negotiations were on-going with other private sector players to provide additional solar system to other kingdom cultural sites.
 
AS the campaign to collect money for the rehabilitation of Buganda properties and cultural sites continues, the deputy Katikkiro reported that last month the kingdom raised  total of sh730m from some parts of Kampala.
 
Ssekimpi said that they collected the money from private companies, institutions of learning, individuals and health facilities.
 
The money which was collected through the leadership of Lubaga division is meant to assist in the completion of Bulange Plaza which has stalled for some time.
 
“I want to assure you that this is just the beginning, we have many plans for the kingdom. Let us work together and stay committed to achieve all these plans,” Ssekimpi said.

Related Stories
 
 

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Big strides made in fighting TB, says WHO
The known tally of people with tuberculosis rose last year but overall "major progress" is being made in rolling back the disease, the World Health Organization (WHO) said Wednesday....
Minister Chebrot hospitalized in China
Dr. Steven Chebrot, the state minister for transport has been hospitalized in a Chinese hospital....
Drug-resistant TB at crisis levels, warns WHO
Multi drug-resistant tuberculosis remains at crisis levels, with about 480,000 new cases this year, and various forms of the lung disease killed about 1.5 million people in 2013, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Wednesday....
Terror suspects linked to Al Shabaab further remanded
Police are yet to conclude investigations in a case involving 10 terror suspects linked to Al Shabaab arrested last month from Kisenyi in Kampala....
Rwanda backtracks on special Ebola screening of travellers from US and Spain
Rwanda will no longer have special Ebola-screening measures imposed on travelers arriving from the United States and Spain...
7 Makerere students detained over demo
At least seven students who were arrested during the Monday Makerere University demostration against an attempted graduation fees increment face charges....
Was Oscar Pistorius' 5 year sentence fair and just?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter