National
50 killed in Bundibugyo, Kasese attacks
Publish Date: Jul 06, 2014
50 killed in Bundibugyo, Kasese attacks
Security personnel deployed at the site where policemen were attacked on a weigh bridge in Kasese. PHOTO/Wilson Asiimwe
  • mail
  • img
newvision

By John Thawite and Taddeo Bwambale

Over 50 people are feared dead following recent clashes in Bundibugyo, Kasese and Ntoroko that took place Saturday afternoon.

In Bundibugyo, a group of thugs attacked Kicho Police Post and Bundibugyo Police Station and killed two policemen.

In that attack, the two men killed were Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Mugume Bataka Wilson and Police Constable Aliga Swaibu.

At least 40 civilians are confirmed to have died during the attacks.

Meanwhile in Kasese, a group of unknown people attacked policemen guarding a weigh bridge along the Kasese-Mbarara highway, killing one and injuring another before taking off with their guns.

Rwenzori region police spokesperson Bakari Mugha identified the dead policeman as Jacob Muhindo and the injured as Amos Tumuhimbise.


The site of the attack on policemen guarding a weigh bridge, where one was killed. PHOTO/Wilson Asiimwe
 


A soldier stands guard at the same site. PHOTO/Wilson Asiimwe

Five civilians are also confirmed to have been killed during that attack.

Mugha said that so far three people have been arrested in connection to the Kasese incident and are being detained Kasese central police station.

Security organs have since deployed heavily in the districts, following fears of new attacks.

In Ntoroko district, the fourth group of thugs attempted to attack Karugutu Police Station but fell in an ambush near the station and two were shot dead.


Also related to this story

Policeman killed, another injured in Kasese attack

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Businessman sues UNRA over Entebbe Expressway
A businessman has dragged the Uganda National Roads Authority (UNRA) to court seeking sh5b in damages for loss of business and the inconvenience over the construction of the Entebbe Express-Way....
US Commander of Africa Forces visits
President Yoweri Museveni has said that the main challenge in Somalia today was clan-related issues. The President made the remarks at State House Entebbe in a meeting with the United States of America Commander of Africa Forces, General David Rodriguez....
Museveni hails Uganda-North Korea ties
President Yoweri Museveni describes the North Koreans as friends who have helped Uganda for a long time on visit of one of its leaders....
Slain Unilever boss mourned
Speaker after speaker described Makanga as a smart, classy, humble, respectful, joyful, hardworking man at his funeral in Kampala....
Muntu warns Mafabi, Nabila over media exchanges
ACCORDING to John Kikonyogo, the party spokesperson, Muntu said discussing the issues in the media was affecting the image of the party...
Gov
The minister in charge says the move will enable legal refugees seek study, business and medical opportunities abroad....
Should the absence of bride price prevent couples from wedding?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter