National
Family sues govt over death caused by presidential convoy
Publish Date: Jul 01, 2014
Family sues govt over death caused by presidential convoy
The presidents car arriving at Serena Hotel for the State of the Nation address. The family claim the escort cars led to the death of Mwebaze
  • mail
  • img
newvision

By Alice Namutebi

Government has been dragged to the High Court for the unlawful death of a one Barnet Mwebaze who was hit by the presidential convoy along Masaka Road.

The parents of the deceased, Charles and Mary Berwanaho, together with their daughter Rinah Kabarungi accuse the presidential convoy drivers of failing to sound the warning from a considerable distance for other road users to give way.

They are seeking compensation of over sh121m and 32,000 pounds as general damages for loss of dependency and expectations.

The family claims that on July 21 last year, whn the deceased was driving a motor vehicle license number UAL 858B to attend Mbarara high school centenary celebrations where President Museveni was chief guest, he had his way blocked by the convoy lead car, causing him to swerve off the road.

They argue that he lost control leading the car to roll over several times, killing him in the process.

The family further contends that the drivers of the presidential convoy negligently refused to have the deceased attended to in the presidential ambulance which had all life saving facilities and paramedics.

Berwanaho was put on a Police Pickup two hours after the crash to be taken to Mayanja Memorila hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

The deputy registrar of the High Court, Eleanor Khaninza, has given the attorney general 15 days to file a defence before the hearing date is set.
 

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Police arrests five over Kampala bank robbery
Police in Kampala have arrested five people in connection with the robbery of a bank, one month after a countrywide hunt by the Police Flying Squad....
Gov’t needs sh2.2trillion for HIV/Aids control by 2016
Government needs about sh2.2trillion for HIV/Aids response by the year 2016, money that is required to procure antiretroviral (ARV) drugs, HIV test kits and other related supplies....
Health commission to replace dead, retired health workers
The Health Service Commission says it is set to replace over 800 health workers who have reached the retirement age of 60 and those who have died....
‘With honest people, Uganda can be richest nation’
Retired Archbishop of the CoU, Henry Luke Orombi says Uganda can be the wealthiest nation on the planet if citizens are honest....
Museveni respects my advice, says AG
The Attorney General, Peter Nyombi, has said President Yoweri Museveni is “satisfied” with his “controversial” legal opinions...
MPs condemn KCCA staff
MPs condemn the “brutality” meted on suspects by Kampala Capital City Authority (KCCA) law enforcers....
Do you agree with the ban on the export of maids?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter