National
Machar writes to UN chief over stalled peace process
Publish Date: Jun 26, 2014
Machar writes to UN chief over stalled peace process
South Sudan rebel leader Dr. Riek Machar
  • mail
  • img
newvision

South Sudan rebel leader, Riek Machar, has written a letter to the UN Secretary General, Ban Ki Moon, explaining his position in the stalled IGAD-mediated peace talks with Salva Kiir’s government, a rebels spokesperson has revealed.

IGAD mediators on Monday in Addis Ababa announced they adjourned the peace talks indefinitely over inclusivity crisis of the other stakeholders who were to join the negotiations, the Sudan Tribune has reported.

The mediation team would also travel to New York to recommend to the UN Security Council an action to take against the two parties, possibly targeted sanctions.

The rebels however described the adjournment of the talks as unnecessary; saying their readiness for direct talks with the government delegation was previously stated clearly to the mediators which they have also reiterated in the letter to the UN chief, dated 23 June 2014.

UN Secretary General Ban Ki Moon

“The Chairman and Commander-in-Chief of SPLM/SPLA, Dr. Riek Machar Teny, has written a letter to the UN Secretary General, Ban Ki Moon, in which he reiterated our commitment and readiness for direct talks with the government,” Machar’s spokesperson, James Gatdet Dak, told Sudan Tribune on Wednesday.

Dak explained that direct talks between the two main rivals would have continued, adding that the matter over inclusivity or selection process of the other stakeholders such as civil society organizations and faith-based groups would be fairly and transparently reviewed and prepare them for a consultative role.

The rebels boycotted a premature opening of the 4th round of talks on Friday and Saturday in protest over what they said was unfair selection process of the other stakeholders who were dominated by pro-government civil societies. They also preferred direct talks with the government delegation in order to beat the dateline of two months imposed by the mediation.

“These other stakeholders would participate in a consultative manner. This is because we want the two warring parties to directly negotiate in order to expeditiously reach to a political settlement within the sixty (60) days timeframe,” Dak further stressed.

“It was unnecessary for the talks to adjourn. The two parties should have engaged in direct negotiations while the other stakeholders are reserved for a consultative role. On our part we are ready for talks with the government to end the crisis,” he said.

The other stakeholders included but not limited to the civil society organizations, faith-based groups and former SPLM detainees, sometimes known as the third bloc.

The rebel leader’s spokesperson added that in the letter to the UN chief, Machar expressed his gratitude for the passing of the UN Security Council Resolution 2155 (2014) which expands the mandate of the United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS).

The new mandate covers the protection of monitoring of verification teams charged with monitoring of the cessation of hostilities agreement signed by the two parties on 23 January 2014.


 

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Kagezi postmortem paralyzes city mortuary operations
People who lost their relatives will have to wait a little longer to pick bodies from the city mortuary until a postmortem for the slain state prosecutor, Joan Kagezi, is complete....
Kampala bombing trial stalls after prosecutor assassinated
A key trial in Uganda of 13 men accused of taking part in Al-Shebab bombings that killed 76 people in 2010 was postponed Tuesday after the top prosecutor was shot dead....
Land grabbing: Judiciary told to protect widows
The criminal justice system in country has got to do more to protect vulnerable widows who have their property grabbed after the death of their husbands, the Director of Public Prosecution Mike Chibita has said....
Gov’t vows to arrest terrorism prosecutor killers
The Government has vowed to arrest the killers of Assistant Director of Public Prosecution Joan Kagezi who was shot dead on Monday evening as she returned back to her home in Kiwatule, a Kampala suburb....
Terrorism prosecutor burial for Thursday
The burial arrangement for the slain assistant Director of Public Prosecution, Joan Kagezi, is out.According to Uganda Funeral Service, the body will be delivered at her home in Najera at 3pm today (Tuesday)....
Kagezi murder open war on the judiciary - DPP
The Director of Public Prosecution (DPP), Mike Chibita, has visited the crime scene where his assistant Joan Kagezi was assassinated from....
Should police arrest parents who do not take their children to school?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter