today's Pick
Fresh attack in Kenya, police say at least 10 dead
Publish Date: Jun 17, 2014
newvision
  • mail
  • img

At least 10 people have been killed in a new overnight attack near Kenya's coast, police said Tuesday, with Somalia's Al-Qaeda-linked Shebab rebels claiming responsibility.

Police said gunmen, apparently part of the same group that massacred close to 50 people in the town of Mpeketoni overnight Sunday, attacked a village in the same region overnight on Monday and left 10 dead.

"We carried out another attack last night. We killed 20 people, mainly police and Kenyan wildlife wardens. The commandos have been going to several places looking for military personnel," Shebab's military spokesman, Abdulaziz Abu Musab, told AFP by telephone.

"The commandos have fulfilled their duties and returned peacefully to their base," he added, without saying if the attackers were still in Kenya or had driven back across the Somali border, around 100 kilometres (60 miles) north.

Kenyan police spokeswoman Zipporah Mboroki confirmed an attack had occurred overnight, although local police and a county official said there were at least 10 dead.

"Our officers are trying to access the scene and the details are sketchy," she said. AFP

  RELATED STORIES 

Gunmen attack Kenyan coastal town, 48 dead

 

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Russian opposition leader shot dead
A Russian opposition leader and fierce critic of President Vladmir Putin, Boris Nemtsov, was shot dead by an unidentified attacker late Friday....
Mugabe admits land reform blunder
Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe has admitted he blundered by giving ill-equipped black farmers vast tracts of farmland...
Girls beat boys in 2014 A
The results for the 2014 Uganda Advanced Certificate of Education (UACE) have been released, with females performing better than their male counterparts....
Typhoid is spread through contaminated food, water
Ministry of Health confirmed cases of typhoid in Kampala and its surrounding districts....
2014 UACE: Results to be released today
The results for last year’s Uganda Advanced Certificate of Education (UACE) examinations will be released today, according to education minister Jessica Alupo....
WWII bomb found at Dortmund
Borussia Dortmund''s Westfalenstadion stadium was evacuated on Thursday after an unexploded WWII bomb was found during renovation work, the club announced....
Do you think government is doing enough to contain the typhoid out break?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter