National
39 fail LDC exams, two discontinued
Publish Date: Jun 15, 2014
39 fail LDC exams, two discontinued
  • mail
  • img
newvision

By Jeff Andrew Lule

A total of 39 students have failed the first term bar course exams at the Law Development Centre (LDC). The exams were done between December and March.

Of the 39 students, two were discontinued after failing to get the 50% pass mark as required by the Centre to continue with the course. Last year 33 students were discontinued, which indicates a great improvement in performance.

This means the two will have to re-sit pre-entry exams next year with fresh graduates from university if they still have interest in the course.

The results which were released Tuesday, indicate that, of the 301 students who sat for the exams, only 262 (87.4 percent) of them passed and have been cleared to continue with the post graduate diploma in legal studies at the Centre.

However, of the 262 , 30 passed by compensation meaning they failed to get the 50% pass mark in some papers and examiners deducted from other papers to add where one was weak. A total of 301 students were admitted for the 2013/14 academic year.

The head LDC post-graduate legal studies, Stephen Mubiru said first term exams are used as a benchmark for one to continue with the course to attain a legal practice certificate.

A total of 24 lawyers also have to re-sit some papers, while 13 were ungraded.

Mubiru attributed the good performance to a number of interventions which were introduced to improve performance at the Centre.

He said the 2013 pre-entry exam, which students did last year, was designed more appropriately to test the competencies required of Bar Course students.

He said it examined the ability to think critically, analytically and to apply the law.

“Its design more or less guaranteed that whoever passed it would quickly adjust to the unique training environment of LDC,” he said.
 

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
14 killed in DR Congo machete attack
THE incursion by the Ugandan rebel group ADF took place overnight in the town of Kampi ya Chui....
Businessman sues UNRA over Entebbe Expressway
A businessman has dragged UNRA to court seeking sh5b in damages for loss of business and the inconvenience over the construction of the Entebbe Expressway....
US Commander of Africa Forces visits
President Yoweri Museveni has said that the main challenge in Somalia today was clan-related issues. The President made the remarks at State House Entebbe in a meeting with the United States of America Commander of Africa Forces, General David Rodriguez....
Museveni hails Uganda-North Korea ties
President Yoweri Museveni describes the North Koreans as friends who have helped Uganda for a long time on visit of one of its leaders....
Slain Unilever boss mourned
Speaker after speaker described Makanga as a smart, classy, humble, respectful, joyful, hardworking man at his funeral in Kampala....
Muntu warns Mafabi, Nabila over media exchanges
ACCORDING to John Kikonyogo, the party spokesperson, Muntu said discussing the issues in the media was affecting the image of the party...
Should the absence of bride price prevent couples from wedding?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter