Towns
Telecoms banned from sending junk SMS
Publish Date: Jun 08, 2014
Telecoms banned from sending junk SMS
  • mail
  • img
newvision

By David Mugabe

KAMPALA - All new telecom promotions have been suspended in a move aimed at improving quality of service and experience.

The Uganda Communications Commission (UCC) public relations officer, Isaac Kalembe, explained that the decision was made after an outcry from the public about unsolicited SMS.

“Sometimes, subscribers’ money is deducted after they have received an unsolicited SMS. When complaints are raised, the service providers promise to end the sending of SMS, but they do not,” said Kalembe on Friday.

He disclosed that customers were complaining most about unsolicited messages.

UCC executive director Godfrey Mutabaazi said the ban would be reviewed only after the service providers comply with the conditions set for them.

Private ICT analysts have explained that service providers were exploiting a loophole in the law that allows telecoms to send messages to subscribers as an agreed terms of service when they buy SIMcards.

This is compounded by a largely ignorant public and a Parliament that have not studied the loophole and, therefore, cannot reign in on the telecoms, despite a huge public outcry.

“So, last week, we wrote to them giving them June 6 as the deadline for them to put their houses in order,” said Kalembe

“We want to plug all the gaps in the existing laws. We have drafted guidelines that we have been discussing with them (telecoms),” said Kalembe.

UCC has demanded that operators must put in place an operational and sustainable mechanism acceptable to UCC to ensure that consumers are not subjected to mobile spam as defined under the UCC Guidelines on content, services and applications.


Also related to this story

Telecom firms accused of cheating customers

Minister tasks UCC on telecom services quality

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Kasese boy asks court to jail his mother for life
A 17-year-old boy asks a court in Kasese to sentence his mother to life imprisonment for killing his father....
Man finds his wife’s sexual partners list on her laptop
The dad-of-one found out his lady had been playing away again when he stumbled across a word document on her laptop that list all her sexual partners....
Baby abandoned with father
If what the Police was told is true, this will likely qualify for the most shocking child story of the year past....
Nabagereka Primary School has been demolished. The school owned by Kampala Capital City Authority (KCCA) is located in Kisenyi, Mengo in Kampala....
Ugandans need to help Uganda
Most pointers indicate that Uganda is moving steadily forward in stability, security and democracy....
3-year-old Museveni fan gets brown envelope
President Museveni meets one of his youngest fans, Boris Akanyijuka at Kabale Referral Hospital....
Do you agree with the new tax on private schools?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter