World
South Sudan army claims capture of rebel base
Publish Date: May 04, 2014
South Sudan army claims capture of rebel base
Members of the White Army, a South Sudanese anti-government militia, attend a rally in Nasir. AFP PHOTO
  • mail
  • img
newvision

JUBA - South Sudanese government forces said Sunday they had overrun a key rebel base and that heavy fighting was raging for control of the northern oil hub of Bentiu following a major offensive.

"Our forces captured Nasir this morning. After we launched an assault yesterday with heavy bombardments, the town is ours," South Sudan army spokesman Philip Aguer told AFP, adding that rebel leader Riek Machar had fled towards the Ethiopian border.

"The rebels including Riek Machar are fleeing towards the Ethiopian border, we are still advancing," the spokesman said.

"In Bentiu we launched a major assault at the same time, our forces are there and have been fighting. We are awaiting confirmation of its capture, but we are hopeful of good news."

The attack comes just days after the country's president, Salva Kiir, agreed during a visit by US Secretary of State John Kerry to hold direct talks with Machar on ending the brutal four-month-old conflict.

Independent aid sources, who asked not to be identified, confirmed there was fierce fighting in and around Bentiu, capital of the oil-rich Unity State, as well as around Nasir, situated close to the border with Ethiopia and one of the main bases of Machar and his rebel army.

AFP

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
S.Africa vows crackdown against xenophobic attacks
SOUTH Africa on Sunday vowed to hunt down those behind a wave of attacks targeting immigrants, saying 307 people had been arrested over violence that has left at least seven people dead...
700 feared dead in migrant shipwreck
SEVEN hundred people are feared dead after a fishing boat packed with migrants trying to reach Europe capsized off Libya...
Zuma urges foreigners to stay amid violence
PRESIDENT Jacob Zuma pleaded with foreigners to stay in South Africa as he cancelled a state visit to Indonesia to deal with a wave of deadly xenophobic violence...
South Africa attacks spark anger abroad
COUNTRIES neighbouring South Africa prepared to evacuate their citizens from South Africa as the UN raised the alarm over deadly xenophobic attacks...
Ebola-hit countries call for $8 bn aid plan
THE three West African countries hit hardest by the Ebola epidemic called for an $8 billion "Marshall Plan" to help rebuild their economies and boost prevention efforts...
UN envoys hear graphic accounts of Syria chemical attacks
The UN Security Council on Thursday heard graphic first-hand accounts from Syrian doctors of deadly chemical weapons attacks in their country, vowing it will take action against those responsible....
Should African countries expel South Africans?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter