World
Bomb kills 16 near site of Abuja's deadliest attack
Publish Date: May 02, 2014
Bomb kills 16 near site of Abuja's deadliest attack
(FILES) This picture taken on April 14, 2014 shows vehicles burning after an attack in Abuja on April 14, 2014. A bomb blast hit Nigerias capital on May 1, 2014 within the same bus station on the outskirts of the city targeted in a deadly April 14 attack, an official said. "It was a bomb blast," Ishaya Chonoko, central region coordinator with the National Emergency Management Agency told AFP, referring to the explosion that went off at the Nyanya bus terminal. AFP PHOTO
  • mail
  • img
newvision

ABUJA  - A bombing at a bus station on the outskirts of Nigeria's capital killed at least 16 people on Thursday, just weeks after a deadly attack hit the same spot.

No group has claimed responsibility for the latest attack, but suspicion immediately fell on Boko Haram, the extremist Islamist group which has killed thousands in a five-year insurgency.

The explosion rocked the crowded Nyanya bus terminal just a few kilometres from central Abuja at roughly 8:00 pm (1900 GMT) and emergency workers were at the scene trying to rescue the injured, said Manzo Ezekiel, spokesman for the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA).

He told AFP that the work was complicated by darkness at the station, which is very poorly lit after sundown.

A bombing on April 14 that targeted morning commuters at the Nyanya terminal killed 75 people, making it the deadliest attack ever in Abuja.

Boko Haram's leader Abubakar Shekau, declared a global terrorist by the United States, said his group carried out the April 14 bombing in a video message obtained by AFP.

NEMA's central region coordinator Ishaya Chonoko, who was at the scene, told AFP the explosion was caused by "a bomb blast", but declined to provide casualty figures.

An AFP reporter at the nearby Asokoro General Hospital counted nine dead bodies which had been brought from Nyanya and a witness at the same hospital who requested anonymity said he had seen at least seven other corpses arrive.

Much of Boko Haram's recent violence has targeted the remote northeast, the group's historic stronghold, where more than 1,500 people have been killed already this year.

A second attack in two weeks just a few kilometres from the seat of government highlighted the serious threat the Islamists pose to Africa's most populous country and largest economy.

President Goodluck Jonathan has faced intense pressure over the unrest, which has continued unchecked despite a massive year-long military offensive in the northeast aimed at crushing Boko Haram's uprising.

The Nyanya station was completely inaccessible after Thursday's blast, with the one access road blocked and cars backed up for several kilometres, an AFP reporter said.

Ezekiel, who said he lives near Nyanya and heard the bomb go off, described the road leading to the station as "jam packed", adding that ambulances and rescue workers were struggling to reach the area.

The bombing came amid mounting public outrage after one of Boko Haram's most shocking attacks, the mass kidnapping of more than 100 girls from their school in the northeast.

Officials and locals have offered contradictory figures for the number of girls taken, but the school's principal has said that 187 are still being held hostage.

Boko Haram, which says it wants to create a strict Islamic state in Nigeria's mainly Muslim north, has attacked schools, churches, mosques and various symbols of authority in an insurgency that has killed thousands since 2009.

AFP

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Burkina Faso military chief says he has taken over
Burkina Faso military chief says he has taken over as head of state...
Blaise Compaore steps down
BURKINA Faso''s embattled President Blaise Compaore has announced that he is stepping down to make way for elections following a violent uprising against his 27-year rule...
Burkina Faso leader defiant after violent day
Burkina Faso's President Blaise Compaore on Thursday refused to give up power but called off a state of emergency imposed after a violent uprising against his 27-year rule that saw parliament set ablaze....
Burkina Faso army announces dissolution of govt, parliament
Burkina Faso’s army has announced the dissolution of government and the country’s National Assembly...
Sweden to recognize State of Palestine today
Swedish government expected to officially recognize State of Palestine today, says Jerusalem official; Israel has been informed of decision...
Man dies after downing 56 shots of liquor
French police open an investigation following the death of a man in his 50s after he downs 56 shots during a drinking competition....
Should the absence of bride price prevent couples from wedding?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter