World
UN relocates 500 staff from Juba to Entebbe
Publish Date: Apr 26, 2014
UN relocates 500 staff from Juba to Entebbe
A grab made from a video released by the United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) on April 23, 2014 shows displaced people in a camp in Bentiu, on April 22, 2014. CREDIT/AFP
  • mail
  • img
newvision

By Raymond Mujuni

Over 500 staff of the United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) have been relocated to Uganda over security fears.

The staff are part of the UN team that was working in South Sudan where war guns are currently  sounding.

In her report to the United Nations Security Council, a copy of which NewVision has seen, the UNMISS head Hilde Johnson says the growing hostility towards UNMISS staff in South Sudan has forced them to relocate over 500 staff that are non critical at the moment to the UN base in Entebbe.

The relocation of the staff was started on 21st December last year with the relocation of 40 UN staff from battle grounds in Bentiu to Juba before finally bringing them to Entebbe. A day later, another 450 members of the UNMISS were relocated to Entebbe.  

Nairobi, has also played host to another 164 UNMISS employees who have fled the violence in South Sudan.

Fighting in South Sudan has intensified with armed militia attacking UN bases in areas of Bor. The attack of UN bases forced the Uganda Peoples Defence Forces to take over control of the UN camp in Bor for two days.

UPDF spokesperson Paddy Ankunda says they had taken over the camp to provide security to civilians but have now left after reaching an understanding that they will always assist the UN in cases of emergency.

In her report, Hilde Johnson says the UN employees in South Sudan currently are those that are extremely critical to meet the programme demands of the world body in the country.

In January, the UN also relocated two members of staff whose security in the country was threatened by public threats from senior government officials. 

UNMISS has over2000 staff who have been working in South Sudan.

Part of the mission’s mandate to the country includes guarding of the civilian population from the fighters and providing humanitarian aid to the internally displaced people.

There has been increased friction between the South Sudan government forces and rebels with UNMISS. UN bases in South Sudan have been consistently attacked and civilians taking refuge at the camps have been killed. The government of South Sudan has distanced itself from the massacres that happened at the UN camps saying rebel forces were the ones committing gross atrocities.

South Sudan slipped into war last year in December after the feud between Riek Mahar, a former Vice President  and the President Salva Kiir deepened.

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Zuma urges foreigners to stay amid violence
PRESIDENT Jacob Zuma pleaded with foreigners to stay in South Africa as he cancelled a state visit to Indonesia to deal with a wave of deadly xenophobic violence...
South Africa attacks spark anger abroad
COUNTRIES neighbouring South Africa prepared to evacuate their citizens from South Africa as the UN raised the alarm over deadly xenophobic attacks...
Ebola-hit countries call for $8 bn aid plan
THE three West African countries hit hardest by the Ebola epidemic called for an $8 billion "Marshall Plan" to help rebuild their economies and boost prevention efforts...
UN envoys hear graphic accounts of Syria chemical attacks
The UN Security Council on Thursday heard graphic first-hand accounts from Syrian doctors of deadly chemical weapons attacks in their country, vowing it will take action against those responsible....
Death toll from DRC machete attack hits 19
NINETEEN people, including a pregnant woman, were killed in a machete attack in a region of the Democratic Republic of Congo that has been repeatedly attacked by Ugandan rebels...
Muslim-majority Indonesia cracks down on alcohol sales
Indonesia on Thursday banned small retailers from selling beer, despite an outcry from the booze industry and in tourism hotspots over the Muslim-majority country''s latest offensive against drinking....
Should African countries expel South Africans?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter