World
Man killed by John Paul II crucifix
Publish Date: Apr 25, 2014
Man killed by John Paul II crucifix
The accident happened just three days before John Paul II (right) is declared a saint in the Vatican, along with Italian-born pope John XXIII (left). PHOTO/AFP
  • mail
  • img
newvision

ROME - An Italian man has been crushed to death by a giant crucifix honouring John Paul II that collapsed during a ceremony ahead of the late pope's canonisation.

The 30-metre (98-foot) high wooden cross toppled over during the event near the Alpine village of Cevo on Wednesday, killing Marco Gusmini, 21, on the spot.

"It is an inexplicable tragedy. A young life, so many hopes, destroyed this way," Cevo mayor Silvio Citroni said.

"The boys ran in every direction when they heard the sound of the wood splintering. Unfortunately, that poor boy went the wrong way," he said, adding that further celebrations to mark the pope's elevation to sainthood had been cancelled.

Gusmini had a minor motor disability which may have slowed his reaction to the falling cross, Italian media reports said.

The accident happened just three days before John Paul II is declared a saint in the Vatican, along with Italian-born pope John XXIII.

According to the Corriere della Sera daily, Gusmini coincidentally lived with his family on a street named after John XXIII.

The Jesus Christ statue on the cross is six metres high and weighs 600 kilogrammes and the crucifix was curved and fixed to the ground with cables.

Its unusual shape was intended to represent the scars of World War II.

It was designed by sculptor Enrico Job and was created for John Paul II's visit to Brescia in the Lombardy region in northern Italy in 1998. It was installed in a picturesque spot near the village of Cevo in 2005.

"The news has really shaken me. My thoughts go to the poor boy and his family," Job's widow, film director Lina Wertmuller, told Ansa news agency.

"That cross was a great symbol for Italy, a symbol of protection. But all that seems silly in the face of this terrible tragedy," she said.

AFP

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
European stocks on Ebola, eurozone concerns
Europe's main stock markets pulled back Friday on concerns over New York's first Ebola case and the outlook for the eurozone....
Mexico governor steps down over student disappearances
The governor of the Mexican state where 43 students vanished a month ago following a confrontation with police allegedly linked to a major drug cartel has bowed to pressure to stand down....
A doctor who recently returned to New York from treating Ebola patients in Guinea tested positive on Thursday for the deadly virus, the first confirmed case in the city, officials said....
Missing Mexico journalist found shot dead
THE editor of an investigative magazine in violence-wracked northwestern Mexico who disappeared two weeks ago was found dead with gunshot wounds...
Bashir calls opponents for talks
SUDAN'S President Omar al-Bashir has urged opponents to join him in 'national dialogue' talks, days after it was announced he would be seeking re-election...
Mexico says mayor, wife were behind student-teacher disappearances
A Mexican mayor and his wife were "probable masterminds" behind the disappearance of 43 student-teachers last month in the restive southwest, the country's attorney general said on Wednesday....
Should diplomatic passports issued to ex-govt workers be with drawn?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter