World
S. Sudan army battles rebels in worsening war
Publish Date: Apr 19, 2014
S. Sudan army battles rebels in worsening war
Members of the White Army, a South Sudanese anti-government militia, attend a rally in Nasir on April 14, 2014. PHOTO/AFP
  • mail
  • img
newvision

JUBA - South Sudan's army said on Saturday they had "lost communication" with commanders battling rebels in a key oil state where rebels have seized a major town, amid a worsening conflict engulfing the young nation.

However, army spokesman Malaak Ayuen said the situation was "all calm" in the flashpoint town of Bor, where at least 58 people were killed and more than 100 others wounded when gunmen stormed a UN base on Thursday.

The UN Security Council called the attack on the camp where thousands of civilians were sheltering an "outrage" that may "constitute a war crime".

Among the dead were children, and the UN has warned that the death toll could increase.

The top UN official in the war-torn nation, Toby Lanzer, praised peacekeepers for preventing what could have been a massacre of up to 5,000 people, and vowed the world body would use "lethal force" again to protect civilians under their protection.

In the north of the country in the troubled oil-state of Unity, the army is fighting rebels loyal to sacked vice president Riek Machar, after the insurgents launched a renewed offensive targeting the young nation's key oil fields.

Rebel fighters recaptured the town of Bentiu on Tuesday, with UN peacekeepers reporting corpses littering the streets.

- Surge in fighting -

Bentiu, one of the most bitterly contested regions in the war, is the first major settlement to have been retaken since they started a renewed assault.

Rebels said the army had fled Bentiu in disarray and had seized large amounts of military equipment including artillery, but the army dismissed the reports and said it was staging a counterattack.

However, military headquarters in the capital Juba said they had not been able to get through to troops fighting on the ground since Thursday.

"There is a problem of lost communication...the telephones are not going through," Ayuen said.

It was not immediatly clear what has happened to the government force in Unity state, but rebels are reportedly extending attacks, including in the Melut and Renk areas of Upper Nile, another oil-producing state.

The conflict in South Sudan, which only won independence from Sudan in 2011 and is the world's youngest nation, has left thousands dead and forced around a million people to flee their homes.

The fighting has been marked by reports and allegations of atrocities by both sides, with ethnic massacres, child soldier recruitment and patients raped and murdered in hospitals by attacking forces.

The surge in fighting in the four-month-long conflict comes amid warnings by UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon that more than one million people are at risk of famine in the war-torn country.

The fighting is between soldiers loyal to President Salva Kiir against mutinous troops who sided with Machar, sacked as vice-president in 2013.

The conflict has also taken on an ethnic dimension, pitting Kiir's Dinka tribe against militia forces from Machar's Nuer people.

Lanzer said measures had been taken to boost security at other UN bases in the country, which are sheltering close to 60,000 people from different ethnic groups.

"This past week has been the most bleak in South Sudan's history," Lanzer said on Friday.

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Turkey hosts Gallipoli ceremonies 100 years on
Turkish President Recep Tayip Erdogan on Friday hosted leaders from the former Allied powers of World War I to pay tribute to the tens of thousands killed in the Battle of Gallipoli 100 years after one of the most wasteful yet emblematic campaigns of the conflict....
Major Greek bank to wipe debts of poorest clients
One of Greece's largest banks is to wipe away the debts of clients who owe up to 20,000 euros ($21,600) in a one-off gesture to ease the burden on its crisis-hit customers....
Obama avoids calling Armenian massacre
US President Barack Obama on Thursday described the World War I massacre of Armenians as "terrible carnage", but avoided the term genocide, as tempers flared ahead of the 100th anniversary of the bloodshed....
Dutch expert fired after showing MH17 victim photos
A Dutch expert helping to identify victims from last year's MH17 airliner crash in Ukraine has been fired after showing photographs of the dead....
Yemen violence death toll tops 1,000
THE death toll from fighting in Yemen since late March has topped 1,000 according to the UN, saying it wanted to quickly send international staff back to the country...
Zuma vows action over immigrant attacks as army deployed
President Jacob Zuma on Wednesday pledged to tackle xenophobia in South Africa as troops were sent in to support police in a crackdown against attacks on immigrants that have left at least seven people dead....
Do you support KCCA'S move to return city communter buses?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter