World
Plane search area shifted on 'new, credible lead'
Publish Date: Mar 28, 2014
Plane search area shifted on 'new, credible lead'
Flight Lieutenant Jayson Nichols looks out of the cockpit of a Royal Australian Air Force AP-3C Orion aircraft over cloud while searching for the missing plane over the southern Indian Ocean on Thursday. CREDIT/AFP (Source: POOL)
  • mail
  • img
newvision

PERTH - The search for wreckage of flight MH370 was shifted Friday to an area 1,100 kilometres (685 miles) northeast of where planes had been looking after "a new credible lead", Australian authorities said.

"The new information is based on continuing analysis of radar data between the South China Sea and the Strait of Malacca before radar contact was lost," the Australian Maritime Safety Authority said.

"It indicated that the aircraft was travelling faster than previously estimated, resulting in increased fuel usage and reducing the possible distance the aircraft travelled south into the Indian Ocean."

AFP

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Greece could seek legal action against euro exit: report
Greece could seek legal action to stop the country being forced out of the eurozone if it fails to seal a debt deal...
European Commission head Jean Claude Juncker Monday urged Greece to vote "yes" in a referendum on bailout proposals or leave the euro as a bank shutdown ordered by Athens left the Greeks desperately scrambling for cash....
African Union says will not be observer in crisis-hit Burundi
The African Union announced it would not act as an observer in Monday's parliamentary polls in Burundi, saying the conditions were not right for "credible elections" after weeks of violent protests and international calls for the vote to be delayed....
Polling stations open for Burundi elections
SOME 3.8 million Burundians are eligible to vote in the polls, which the opposition and civil society society groups are boycotting, claiming they will not be free and fair...
French attack suspect begins to talk as gruesome
French authorities were transferring the man suspected of beheading his boss in an alleged jihadist attack to Paris on Sunday, as it emerged he sent a macabre "selfie" of the decapitation....
8 killed in ADF attack in DRC
FIVE civilians and three soldiers were killed in an attack by rebels on a Congolese army camp near Beni in the restive east of the country...
With Eddie Kenzo’s win at the BET awards, is Ugandan music being recognized worldwide?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter