National
Pakistani rape suspects’ case for April 23
Publish Date: Mar 18, 2014
Pakistani rape suspects’ case for April 23
The two suspects arriving at court.
  • mail
  • img
newvision

By Taddeo Bwambale

Clad in jeans and t-shirts, Ahmad Shahbaz and Muhammad Wagas sat in the front row of City Hall Court room yesterday, occasionally glancing and peering over their shoulders.
 
Around them a horde of lawyers, activists, onlookers and fellow suspects hang around the packed room, waiting for the court session to start.
 
Ahmad and Wagas are Pakistani nationals among four men accused of gang-raping a 23-year-old Ugandan house-help last year. Two suspects are on the run.
 
The case was coming up for mention, with update on the status of the investigations by Police.
State Attorney, Grace Tushabe informed court presided over by Grade One Magistrate, Juliet Hatanga that the investigations were not yet complete. 
 
At 12:00pm, after a brief session, the Magistrate adjourned the case to April 23 and the suspects were sent on remand to Luzira Prison.
 
For a case that elicited public uproar last year, the Directorate of Public Prosecution (DPP) will have to sift through evidence against the four suspects charged with gang rape and sodomy.
 
Prosecution alleges that Ahmad, Wagas and two accomplices identified as Zaheer Muhammed and Sadiq Muhammad, performed a sexual act against the order of nature and committed gang-rape to the prejudice of the alleged victim.
A warrant of arrest was issued for the other two suspects on the run.
 
The offence was allegedly committed between December, 2012 and July, 2013 at the suspect’s home in Kiwatule, a Kampala suburb.
 
The victim was working for the men as a house help at the time of the rape, which reportedly occurred in July. 
The victim’s health condition deteriorated and her attempts to seek justice through Police were fraught with controversy.
 
Her health condition has since improved, with the help of several organisations and activists who have vowed to follow the case to its conclusion. 
 

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
14 killed in DR Congo machete attack
THE incursion by the Ugandan rebel group ADF took place overnight in the town of Kampi ya Chui....
Businessman sues UNRA over Entebbe Expressway
A businessman has dragged UNRA to court seeking sh5b in damages for loss of business and the inconvenience over the construction of the Entebbe Expressway....
US Commander of Africa Forces visits
President Yoweri Museveni has said that the main challenge in Somalia today was clan-related issues. The President made the remarks at State House Entebbe in a meeting with the United States of America Commander of Africa Forces, General David Rodriguez....
Museveni hails Uganda-North Korea ties
President Yoweri Museveni describes the North Koreans as friends who have helped Uganda for a long time on visit of one of its leaders....
Slain Unilever boss mourned
Speaker after speaker described Makanga as a smart, classy, humble, respectful, joyful, hardworking man at his funeral in Kampala....
Muntu warns Mafabi, Nabila over media exchanges
ACCORDING to John Kikonyogo, the party spokesperson, Muntu said discussing the issues in the media was affecting the image of the party...
Should the absence of bride price prevent couples from wedding?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter