World
Chinese MH370 relatives threaten 'hunger strike'
Publish Date: Mar 18, 2014
Chinese MH370 relatives threaten 'hunger strike'
Chinese relatives of passengers from the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 leave after a meeting with airline officials at the Metro Park Lido Hotel in Beijing on March 17, 2014. AFP PHOTO/Mark RALSTON
  • mail
  • img
newvision

 BEIJING - Desperate relatives of Chinese passengers aboard flight MH370 threatened to go on hunger strike Tuesday as they demanded answers about the missing aircraft from Malaysian officials.

"Now we have no news, and everyone is understandably worried. The relatives say they will go to the (Malaysian) embassy to find the ambassador," said Wen Wancheng, whose son was aboard the missing flight.

"The Malaysian ambassador should be presenting himself here. But he's not," Wen said, updating reporters after a regular meeting between Malaysia Airlines officials and family members at a hotel in Beijing.

"Relatives are very unsatisfied. So you hear them saying 'hunger strike'," added the 63-year-old from the eastern province of Shandong, speaking as the search entered its 11th day.

Two-thirds of the passengers on the flight, which had 239 people on board, were Chinese.

Outside the meeting room, a woman clutching a placard reading "Respect life. Give us back our families" told reporters that the relatives were going on hunger strike.

She declined to say how many were doing so, or give her name.

"Since they haven't given us the truth about those people's lives, all of us are protesting," the woman said furiously.

"All the relatives are facing mental breakdowns," she added.

Wen also said some of the relatives had stopped going to the meetings, given how long they had been waiting for information.

"It doesn't mean giving up," he added. "It's normal to return home. Like me, I have been out for a long time."

Beijing has been critical of Malaysia's sharing of information, with state media and China's huge army of netizens in expressing anger at the handling of the incident by Kuala Lumpur.

AFP

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Paralysed man walks again after breakthrough treatment
A paralysed man can walk again after receiving revolutionary treatment which one of the British scientists responsible hailed as a breakthrough "more impressive than a man walking on the Moon" - although others urged caution....
Pistorius to learn sentence for killing girlfriend
SOUTH African Paralympic athlete Oscar Pistorius today learns his sentence for shooting dead his girlfriend on Valentine's Day last year...
Warring S.Sudan leaders accept
SOUTH Sudan President Salva Kiir and his arch-rival rebel chief Riek Machar have accepted mutual responsibility for a 10-month civil war...
US drone crashes at Niger airport
A US drone crash-landed at Niger's main airport for unknown reasons on Monday, the US army said, forcing the closure of the runway for several hours....
Warring South Sudan rivals meet in Tanzania
WARRING South Sudanese factions were meeting Monday in Tanzania in the latest bid to end a 10-month civil war in which thousands of people have been killed...
WHO declares Nigeria Ebola-free
AFRICA''S most populous nation Nigeria has been declared officially Ebola free but warned that it remained vulnerable as long as the virus was raging elsewhere in west Africa...
Do Ugandan tycoons prepare their children to take over their business empires?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter