World
Taliban pledge violent campaign to disrupt Afghan election
Publish Date: Mar 10, 2014
Taliban pledge violent campaign to disrupt Afghan election
Afghan women hold posters of presidential candidate and former Islamist warlord Abdul Rasul Sayyaf in Herat province on March 2, 2014 (AFP Photo/Aref Karimi)
  • mail
  • img
newvision

Kabul (AFP) - The Taliban on Monday vowed to target Afghanistan's presidential election, urging their fighters to attack polling staff, voters and security forces before the April 5 vote to choose a successor to Hamid Karzai.

Previous Afghan elections have been badly marred by violence, with at least 31 civilians and 26 soldiers and police killed on polling day alone in 2009 as the Islamist militants displayed their opposition to the US-backed polls.

Another blood-stained election would damage claims by international donors that the expensive military and civilian intervention in Afghanistan since 2001 has made progress in establishing a functioning state system.

NATO combat troops will withdraw from the country by the end of 2014 after 13 years of fighting a fierce Islamist insurgency that erupted when the Taliban were ousted from power after the 9/11 attacks on the United States.

"We have given orders to all our mujahideen to use all force at their disposal to disrupt these upcoming sham elections -- to target all workers, activists, callers, security apparatus and offices," the Taliban said in an emailed statement.

"It is the religious obligation of every Afghan to fulfil their duty by foiling the latest plot of the invaders that is guised in the garb of elections."

Billions of dollars have been spent on military operations and development in Afghanistan, but the country remains wracked by poverty and violence with weak government structures and a fragile economy dependent on aid cash.

"We once again call on all of our countrymen to keep away from electoral offices, voting booths, rallies and campaigns so that may Allah forbid, their lives are not put into danger," the Taliban said.

"If anyone still persist in participating then they are solely responsible for any loss in the future."

AFP

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Islamic State group gains toehold in Libya: experts
With Libya engulfed in chaos, the town of Derna in the east of the largely lawless country is emerging as a new stronghold for the Islamic State jihadist group, experts say....
Two Czech ministers from the centre-left government received envelopes containing poison last week, according to a local official and media....
Kenyan unions warn thousands of workers to leave restive north
Thousands of Kenyan civil servants, teachers and medics have been warned by their unions to leave troubled northeastern regions hit by a wave of insurgent attacks, reports said Tuesday....
Women not equal to men - Turkish president
President Recep Tayyip Erdogan is accused of blatant sexism after declaring that women are not equal to men....
Egypt court confirms jail terms for 85 students
An Egyptian appeals court on Sunday confirmed jail terms for at least 85 students convicted of illegal demonstrations and vandalism in protests backing ousted Islamist president Mohamed Morsi, officials said....
US police kill boy holding fake gun
Police in the US city of Cleveland shot and killed a 12-year-old boy who was in a playground waving around what turned out to be a replica gun....
Should Govt lease parts of Lake Victoria to private developers?
Its Ok
No Way
Not Sure
follow us
subscribe to our news letter