National
New date for ‘sensitive’ mass ID enrolment
Publish Date: Feb 19, 2014
New date for ‘sensitive’ mass ID enrolment
A ministry of internal affairs official says the ID project needs to be done with precision as it is "sensitive"
  • mail
  • img
newvision

By John Odyek

The ministry of internal affairs has set a new date for the rolling out of the National Identity (ID) card mass enrolment exercise.

Last month, the ministry said the mass enrolment programme would start on February 17 (Monday) in all the parishes across the country.

However Pamela Ankunda, the ministry’s communications officer, told New Vision the enrolment exercise will start in April.

In addition, a statement issued by Ankunda did not explain the delay in the commencement of the mass enrolment exercise. Instead, it explained the activities carried out so far.

‘Sensitive’ project

The key activities which the ministry highlighted included interviewing more than 10,000 applicants for the different jobs during the National ID project.

Ankunda said the project has a budget of sh285b, which the Government is releasing in phases to meet the various workplans.

“We have received new digital cameras which can take pictures that meet international standards. Kit-testing is taking place, sensitization with various institutions that will use the cards such as banks are ongoing. We are meeting various groups and parties to deliver messages to their constituencies,” she said.

“This is a sensitive project. Precision during the whole process is considered so that no mishaps are realized.

“We appeal to political leaders, cultural leaders, religious leaders, employers, civil society, academic institutions, parents, guardians and individuals to treat this as a national project; it is nonpartisan,” said Ankunda.

 

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Construction firm sues UN over sh2.7bn loss
KWIK Building Contractors and Engineering alleges that it was in 2012 awarded a contract to construct UN regional offices in Entebbe at US$ 3.8m, but cancelled the contract...
US General, Angina discuss regional security
THE deputy Chief of Defence Forces, Lt. Gen. Charles Angina, Wednesday held talks on regional security with the US general commanding the Combined Joint Task Force Maj. Gen. Mark Stammer...
ILO wants visa requirements for Africans scrapped
THE International Labour Organization has implored African countries to scrap visa requirements for Africans to stop Africans dying as they attempt to make risky trips to Europe...
Besigye arrested over illegal rally
FORMER Forum for Democratic Change president Dr Kizza Besigye has been arrested for reportedly planning to hold an illegal rally in Ndeeba, Kampala...
LDC opposes raising retirement age of judges
THE Law Development Centre has opposed a proposal in the Constitution (Amendment) Bill, 2015 to raise the retirement age for Justices and Judges...
RCC boss summoned over breach of contract
THE Reynolds Construction Company managing director Yaron Bunsky has been summoned to appear in Mbarara High Court in a case the company management was sued for breach of contract...
Should medical students be subjected to pre-admission exams?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter