African News
Boko Haram gunmen attack Nigeria villages, kill 43
Publish Date: Feb 13, 2014
Boko Haram gunmen attack Nigeria villages, kill 43
People walk around the damaged mosque in the village of Konduga on February (AFP Photo/)
  • mail
  • img
newvision

Konduga (Nigeria) - Boko Haram gunmen killed 43 people and razed scores of homes when they stormed two villages in northeast Nigeria, firing indiscriminately on fleeing civilians, a state governor and witnesses said Wednesday.

Heavily armed Islamist extremists in 4X4 trucks attacked a mosque, markets and government buildings in a massive assault on Konduga village in the troubled state of Borno on Tuesday.

State governor Kashim Shettima said 39 people were killed in the raid, the latest in a series of attacks in Borno.

Another four people were killed Tuesday when gunmen opened fire in the village of Wajirko in Borno, the epicentre of a gruesome Islamist rebellion that has killed thousands of people across northern and central Nigeria since 2009.

Wajirko resident Adamu Maude said the attackers destroyed around 50 homes, adding, "we lost four people in the attack and six more have been taken to hospital".

Boko Haram has said it is fighting to create a strict Islamic state in Nigeria's mainly Muslim north.

The southern half of the oil-rich country, Africa's most populous, is mainly Christian.

Shettima told reporters at the scene on Wednesday more than 70 percent of Konduga had been "razed to the ground".

Another 65 people were being treated for burn and gunshot wounds, a hospital source in the state capital Maiduguri around 35 kilometres (22 miles) away told AFP.

Konduga resident Sulaiman Abubakar said 400 gunmen dressed in military fatigues descended on the village around 5:30 pm (1630 GMT) and laid siege for several hours, destroying more than 2,000 homes.

Those figures could not be verified by officials or the security forces, however, and other residents described a lower number of attackers.

Residents who fled the village have been too scared to return, multiple witnesses told AFP.

In the village dead bodies, including those of women and children, could be seen lined up in the courtyard of the central mosque.

The walls of the mosque were charred, as were those of a local clinic and a library.

- Female students threatened -

A teacher at a local girls' school who asked to remain anonymous said 20 masked gunmen broke into the compound, threatened the students and ordered them to stop studying and return home.

No students were harmed, but student and staff accommodation was set on fire and the school has been closed indefinitely and all the girls sent home, the teacher said.

Shettima told survivors Boko Haram was "better armed" than the Nigerian military and called for more troops to be sent to the state.

Borno, along with the two neighbouring states of Adamawa and Yobe were placed under a state of emergency in May of last year, when the military launched a major offensive aimed at crushing the Islamist uprising.

But attacks have continued in the northeast, and there have been claims President Goodluck Jonathan's government has not done enough to stem the violence.

Tijjani Peter, a member of vigilante group in Konduga battling Boko Haram with the support of the security forces, said the Islamists had "subdued" soldiers deployed in the area.

"The terrorists had a field day," he said. "They destroyed everything on site and killed at will."

(AFP)

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Saudi investor to build Africa
A Saudi investor is to build Africa''s tallest building in Morocco, with construction of the 114-storey tower to begin in June, the project''s manager has said....
13-year-old girl with suicide vest arrested
A 13-year-old girl in an explosives vest was arrested in the northern Nigerian city of Kano....
Two Kenyans charged for violently stripping woman
Two Kenyans accused of stripping a woman have been charged with sexual assault, reports say....
Tutu cancels travel plans to battle cancer
South African Archbishop Desmond Tutu has cancelled all travel plans for the rest of the year in order to battle cancer....
Kenya probes Al Jazeera over
Kenya has ordered Al Jazeera to be placed under investigation over a report aired alleging Kenyan police operate death squads....
From
As the battle to succeed her 90-year-old husband heats up, 49-year-old Grace has been elected to a top post....
What is causing the rise in Early child marriages?
Decaying social structures
Poor Education
None of the above
follow us
subscribe to our news letter