World
South Sudan talks resume Monday
Publish Date: Feb 06, 2014
South Sudan talks resume Monday
Internally displaced South Sudanese arrive in a temporary camp for internally displaced persons in Mingkaman, South Sudan, on February 5, 2014. PHOTO/AFP
  • mail
  • img
newvision

By Taddeo Bwambale

Peace talks to end the conflict in South Sudan will resume on Monday, the IGAD mediation team has disclosed.

In a statement on Thursday, IGAD chief, Ambassador Mahboub Maalim confirmed that both parties would resume negotiations on February 10 in the Ethiopian capital, Addis Ababa.

The envoy said IGAD Special Envoys had sent invitation letters to the Parties on the commencement of the second round of the negotiations.

The mediators have also dispatched the advance team of the IGAD Joint Technical Committee (JTC) to South Sudan to conduct an assessment of the situation there.

According to the statement, the mediation team will visit all capitals of the IGAD Member States to seek their views on the direction of the peace talks.

IGAD brings together six countries of the Horn of Africa region which are Djibouti, Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, Sudan and Uganda.

The second round of the mediation that will focus on political dialogue and national reconciliation, the statement said.

The mediation team is led by IGAD special envoy, Ambassador Seyoum Mesfin.

Seven South Sudan detainees were last week released by President Salva Kiir and received by President Uhuru Kenyatta in Nairobi.

The IGAD special envoys met with the detainees to seek their position on mediation efforts to end the conflict that started in December.

“They were appreciative of the IGAD initiative and the practical achievement made so far by the envoys, including the signing of the Cessation of Hostilities Agreement,” the statement said.

The resumption of talks comes amidst claims of violation of a January 23 ceasefire between the government and rebels.

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
German media and celebs rally for refugees after ugly protests
Germany may have witnessed violent anti-refugee protests this week - but the message from the country's media and celebrities is a loud and determined welcome for people fleeing the horrors of war....
Austria
The discovery of the decomposing bodies of 71 migrants including four children shut inside an abandoned truck on an Austrian motorway on Thursday marked a chilling new low in Europe's migrant crisis....
Nigeria''s domestic intelligence agency has warned travellers to be ready for an attack on the capital''s airport after announcing it had smashed a spy network run by the radical Islamist group Boko Haram....
UN chief urges stronger response to migration tragedies
UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon appealed Friday to governments to step up their response to Europe's migrant crisis following more drownings at sea and the discovery of migrant bodies in an abandoned truck in Austria....
Journalist killings revive US gun control debate
The brazen killing of two US journalists during a live television broadcast by a former reporter fired by the station reignited calls Thursday for tougher gun control in America - though there was little hope for change....
Stiff lifeless bodies submerged in water - it's a sight Canadian doctor Simon Bryant won't soon forget after he found dozens of dead migrants in the hold of a boat off Libya....
Do you support KCCA'S move to ban campaign posters from the city?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter