African News
Nigeria's Boko Haram kills 18 in village attacks-witnesses
Publish Date: Jan 24, 2014
Nigeria's Boko Haram kills 18 in village attacks-witnesses
Aftermath of a Boko Haram attack in Nigeria. Photo/www.defenceweb.co.za
  • mail
  • img
newvision

MAIDUGURI - Nigerian Islamists killed 18 people and burned dozens of houses in attacks on two villages in remote northeastern Borno state, witnesses said on Friday, despite a military offensive aimed at stemming violence in vulnerable rural regions.

"Suddenly we heard gunshots in all directions and cries for help from women and children," said Wovi Pogu, nursing a gunshot wound from the attack on his village of Njaba in which 10 people were killed on Tuesday. Five others were wounded.

"As entered my house I was hit on leg and I fell down but I dragged myself to a nearby shack where I hid until the shooting subsided," he said, from his bed at a hospital in Borno's main city of Maiduguri.

Fighters from Boko Haram, whose campaign for a breakaway Islamic state has killed thousands in mostly Muslim northern Nigeria, also shot dead eight people in Kaya village before razing it to the ground on Wednesday, witnesses said.

Boko Haram, seen as the gravest security threat in Africa's top oil producer, torched two other villages on the same day, witnesses said, but no one was hurt. Colonel Muhammadu Dole, spokesman for Nigerian forces in the northeast, said he had no further details on the incidents.

A military offensive against the four-and-a-half-year-old insurgency that President Goodluck Jonathan ordered last May has pushed the rebels into remoter areas, but it has failed to stem the violence. It has also triggered reprisals on civilians.

Jonathan replaced his entire military command last week, after some embarrassing security lapses in rebel-affected areas, including an attack on the airport and military barracks in Maiduguri last month.

He also named Aliyu Mohammed Gusau, a northern Muslim, veteran army general and ex-national security adviser as a new minister in a cabinet reshuffle. Gusau is tipped to take the defence portfolio.

Jonathan, a southern Christian, has in the past been accused of giving too many key security posts to the largely Christian south, a charge he denied.

(Reuters)

 

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
A French judicial probe has found a series of "tragic" errors caused an Air Algerie plane to crash in the Malian desert last year....
Two years after Morsi, Egypt stuck in turmoil
Two years after the army deposed president Mohamed Morsi, Egypt is roiled by brazen Islamic State group attacks in the Sinai Peninsula....
Burundi awaited on Thursday the results of controversial elections boycotted by the opposition, with the capital calm....
Votes counted in  Burundi polls, ruling party eyes win
Burundi election officials finished vote-counting on Tuesday, a day after internationally condemned polls boycotted by the opposition, with the ruling party expected to win a sweeping victory....
Burundi journalists, activists seek refuge in Rwanda
Burundi journalist union president Alexandre Niyungeko sits at a computer in a cafe in Rwanda....
Niger army
Niger''s defence ministry says its army killed 15 Boko Haram militants in the course of land and air operations against the armed Islamist group....
Do you think Ugandan graduates are the worst in the region?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter