National
Red Cross 'dismisses Nataka, two others'
Publish Date: Jan 24, 2014
Red Cross 'dismisses Nataka, two others'
Richard Nataka is said to have failed to appear before a disciplinary committee to defend himself. FILE PHOTO/Eddie Ssejjoba
  • mail
  • img
newvision

By Chris Kiwawulo                        

The Uganda Red Cross Society (URCS) has dismissed Secretary General, Richard Nataka, after he failed to appear before the disciplinary committee to defend himself against tax evasion and smuggling allegations, a source who attended the board meeting on Thursday reveals.

The source says the URCS Interim Central Governing Board also dismissed the suspended finance director Sarah Ndegemu and her deputy Geoffrey Wepondi,

Richard Amadra, the under-secretary general in charge of institutional development was pardoned after he reportedly pleaded with the board, the source added.

Nataka was last year suspended from URCS at the height of investigations into suspected smuggled goods that Police and Uganda Revenue Authority found at his home in Munyonyo, a Kampala suburb.

The board on Wednesday summoned Nataka to defend himself but he failed to show up. In a notice published in the press on Tuesday the board chairman Stephen Tashobya asked Nataka to appear or they reach a verdict in his absentia.

Other URCS officials were suspended over alleged abuse of office and mismanagement.

Tashobya, who is also the Kajara County Member of Parliament earlier noted that; “In case he doesn’t appear, we shall evaluate the evidence before us and decide. The action we shall take—whether dismissal or other penalties—will depend on the evidence against him.”

In the notice, Tashobya said Nataka had failed to heed to several earlier summons that were reportedly sent through his official and personal contacts, adding that this was the final notice.

“We have tried to send him invitations to appear before us to explain some issues but he has not honoured our plea. There are issues we wanted him to answer because he is on interdiction. So we thought he should come and be heard. But for some reason he has not come.

“We took the invitation to his home and we were told he is not there, but we know that he stays there. The other reason we are summoning him is to avoid legal problems in future. So, he has to appear, and that is why we have put a notice in the newspapers,” Tashobya stated. 

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Convicted former PS Kashaka granted bail
The former permanent secretary of the Local government ministry, John Muhanguzi Kashaka who was convicted over sh4b financial scam has been granted bail....
UWA boss Seguya kicked out
Tourism Minister, Maria Mutagamba, has suspended the executive director of the Uganda Wildlife Authority (UWA), Dr. Andrew Sseguya following recommendation by the board of trustees at UWA....
Ebola: Ugandan doctor reunited with family
His recovery is uplifting in a situation where thousands have died. Michael Mawanda, the doctor formerly treated and quarantined in a Germany hospital has recovered from Ebola and returned home....
Traders awarded American honorary doctorates
At least 17 personalities with footprints in business and humanitarian circles, have been awarded honorary philosophy doctorates....
SCOUL
For ten years now, Sugar Corporation of Uganda Limited (SCOUL) has reportedly failed to abide by the rules and regulations of NEMA....
Lt Col Olanya trial flops due to absence of ‘key’ witnesses
The hearing of the case in which a former UPDF commander is accused of selling fuel has failed to take off for lack of defence witnesses....
Should Govt lease parts of Lake Victoria to private developers?
Its Ok
No Way
Not Sure
follow us
subscribe to our news letter