• No_Ads
African News
Nigerian president overhauls military leadershipPublish Date: Jan 16, 2014
Nigerian president overhauls military leadership
  • mail
  • img
Goodluck Jonathan the president of Nigeria photo/www.bellanaija.com
newvision

ABUJA - Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan on Thursday replaced the chiefs of defence, army, navy and air force, a presidency statement said, without giving a reason.

Nigeria is struggling to end a four-and-a-half-year-long Islamist insurgency by Boko Haram, an extremist sect which has killed thousands in its attempt to create an Islamic state in a religiously mixed country of 170 million people.

Jonathan is also facing a political crisis within his ruling People's Democratic Party (PDP) and mass defections to an increasingly powerful opposition.

The PDP is holding a meeting on Thursday to decide the future of its chairman Bamanga Tukur, a Jonathan ally who has been under pressure to quit from Jonathan's opponents.

Africa's biggest oil producer is also blighted by rampant oil theft in the Niger Delta, where criminal gangs tapping into pipelines can cut out hundreds of thousands of barrels per day of output and cause devastating environmental damage.

All the four new appointed chiefs of staff are experienced military officials in their mid-50s.

Air Marshal Alex Badeh takes over from Admiral Ola Sa'ad Ibrahim as Chief of Defence staff and Major-General Kenneth Tobiah Jacob Minimah takes over from Lieutenant-General Azubike Ihejirika as Chief of Army Staff, the statement said.

Rear Admiral Usman O. Jibrin takes over from Vice Admiral Dele Joseph Ezeoba as Chief of Naval Staff and Air Vice Marshal Adesola Nunayon Amosu becomes the new Chief of Airforce, a position previously held by newly promoted Badeh.

(Reuters)

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
UN confirms massacre in South Sudan, says FM being used for hate messages
The United Nations Mission in South Sudan has confirmed that civilians were killed en masse at the Bentiu hospital and mosque last Tuesday and Wednesday...
My travel experience in Mogadishu
Despite the negative reactions from my family and friends, something was telling me, “Go, Carol.”...
Refugees boost brisk business in camps
Money changers, air time dealers, mobile money, grass, poles, beer, soft drinks and Bodaboda riders are opening up shops...
A car bomb Monday targeting a military academy in Libya's restive eastern city of Benghazi killed at least five soldiers and wounded more than 10, military and hospital sources said....
UN prepares new camps for S. Sudanese
Tens of thousands of South Sudanese civilians sheltering in UN peacekeeper bases fearing revenge attacks are to be moved to new camps....
French court sentences Rwandan over genocide
A French court has sentenced a former Rwandan army captain to 25 years in prison over the 1994 genocide, in a landmark ruling....
WIll the national ID registration process be completed in the scheduled 4 months timeframe?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter