U.S. to airlift Rwandan forces into CAR
Publish Date: Jan 16, 2014
U.S. to airlift Rwandan forces into CAR
French soldiers of the Sangaris operation patrol on January 15, 2014 in a street of Bangui. AFP PHOTO
  • mail
  • img

WASHINGTON - The U.S. military will soon begin flying Rwandan troops into the Central African Republic, possibly starting on Thursday, in its second such operation in support the African Union's efforts to stem bloodshed there, a U.S. official said on Wednesday.

The U.S. official, speaking to Reuters on condition of anonymity, said the airlift operation could last just over a month and would involve two U.S. military C-17 aircraft.

The airlift mission would be very similar to the one the United States carried out flying forces from Burundi into the Central African Republic late last year, the official said.

Rwanda's foreign minister has been quoted telling local radio that the country would send around 800 troops.

The U.S. aircraft would fly out of Uganda into Rwanda's capital Kigali, where they would load before proceeding onto Bangui in the Central African Republic, the official said.

A Muslim rebel coalition, Seleka, seized power in Central African Republic last spring, unleashing a wave of killings and looting that in turn sparked revenge attacks by the "anti-balaka" Christian militia.

The United Nations estimates that months of fighting in the landlocked former French colony has displaced around 1 million people, or just over a fifth of the population.

The national death toll is difficult to estimate. More than 1,000 people were killed in Bangui alone last month and sporadic violence has continued despite the presence of 1,600 French troops and 4,000 African Union peacekeepers.

France's U.N. envoy said on Wednesday that the level of hatred in Central African Republic between Muslims and Christians had been underestimated and is creating a "nearly impossible" situation for African Union and French forces to combat.

U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon is expected to submit a report to the Security Council next month with recommendations for a possible U.N. peacekeeping force that would take over from the African troops.


The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Russian missile maker disputes Dutch MH17 inquiry findings
MOSCOW - The Russian maker of BUK missiles on Tuesday sought to discredit findings of an official inquiry into the downing of a Malaysia Airlines jet over rebel-held eastern Ukraine last year....
Officer, 37, becomes third woman to pass US Ranger school
A 37-year-old mother of two is this week set to become the third woman to graduate from the US Army's elite Ranger School, which previously was open only to men....
India''s poorest state, Bihar, began voting Monday in a high-stakes election....
British troops killed in Kabul chopper crash
Two Britons were among five NATO troops killed in a helicopter crash in Kabul, a second blow for British forces....
Stunned Turkey mourns 95 killed in worst ever attack
Turkey on Sunday mourned the killing of at least 95 people in twin suspected suicide bombings on a peace rally in Ankara....
Iran tests new long-range missile
Iran announced Sunday it had successfully tested a new domestically produced long-range missile....
Should Makerere University fees policy be reviewed?
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter