National
Parliament elevators closed for 8 months
Publish Date: Jan 08, 2014
newvision
  • mail
  • img

By Paul Kiwuuwa

KAMPALA - The elevators inside the Parliament building have been put out of service to give way for the construction of an additional floor on the building.

The lifts will remain unused for the next eight months, said Parliament’s Sergeant-at-arms, Ahmed Kagoye.

He told MPs to bear with the development until a sixth floor, intended to create more room for office accommodation, is built.

The closure of the lifts will be done in turns, he said, to pave way for “smooth” construction of the new level.

The Sergeant-at-arms explained that the reason for the closure of the elevators is that the continuous movement of lifts up and down interrupts major construction work inside the building.

The contracts committee of Parliament last September awarded the contract for construction and roofing of the three blocks on the east, south and west to Seyani Brothers and Co. Ltd.

The contract was approved by the solicitor general, and then signed by the parliamentary commission and the contract company.

Despite the shutdown of the elevators, there will be other options for movement inside the parliamentary building.

“MPs can use lifts on the northern block to reach the third floor of Parliament which has got a bridge that connects to the southern, eastern, and western blocks where construction work is going on,” said Kagoye.

Elevators leading to the eastern block are closed. However, those on the southern block have been left in operation for MPs, staff and visitors.

Construction started in November last year and is scheduled for completion in August.

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Burundi rivals hold talks to ease pre-vote tensions
Burundi''s ruling party has said it is "ready for compromise" with the opposition to ensure peaceful elections, as warnings mount of the risk of violence in the upcoming key polls....
Kaye’s ruling set for next week
The General Court Martial is expected to deliver a ruling in a case in which, Lt. Col. John Kaye, is accused of murder and conduct prejudicial to good order and discipline on February 5....
Court warns Sejusa aides’ lawyers
The General Court Martial has warned lawyers defending Gen. David Sejusa’s aides and associates against “stalling” the trial of their clients on speculation that President Yoweri Museveni is about to order for their unconditional release....
No compensation for  forest encroachers - Munaaba
People who settled in forest reserves should not expect compensation from government, State minister for environment Flavia Munaaba has said....
Uganda gives M23 rebels deadline to leave
UGANDA has issued a three-month ultimatum to Democratic Republic of Congo to relocate hundreds of ex-rebel fighters or they will be handed to the United Nations...
Another police recruit dies after sprint test
A 25 year old youth identified as Nicholas Ngombya has died at Masaka Regional Referral Hospital after he collapsed during the sprint test for police recruitment exercise...
Do you agree with the new tax on private schools?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter