World
Gunmen kill two Egyptian police ahead of Morsi trial
Publish Date: Nov 04, 2013
Gunmen kill two Egyptian police ahead of Morsi trial
An Egyptian firefighter sprays water on burnt vehicles after a car bomb attack outside a military intelligence building on October 19, 2013 in Ismailia (AFP)
  • mail
  • img
newvision

Gunmen killed two Egyptian policemen Sunday near Ismailia on the west bank of the Suez Canal, security sources said, hours before ousted president Mohamed Morsi was to go on trial.

A third policeman was wounded when the armed men fired automatic weapons from their car toward the officers' checkpoint, the sources said.

Medical sources confirmed the toll.

Since the army deposed and arrested Morsi, Egypt's first democratically elected president, on July 3, near daily attacks have claimed dozens of lives among police and soldiers across the country.

The army-installed interim government has accused pro-Morsi Islamist groups of carrying out the attacks.

Armed Islamist groups, some linked to Al-Qaeda, have claimed most of the unrest, which they say is in response to a bloody crackdown against Morsi supporters in which more than 1,000 people have been killed.

Morsi's backers accuse the government of fabricating the charges against him and have called for anti-military protests, raising fears of new clashes.

Held by the army at a secret location since his ouster, Morsi goes on trial Monday accused along with 14 others of inciting the murder of protesters outside the presidential palace in December 2012.

The charges against Morsi could lead to the death penalty or life in prison.

More than 2,000 members of Morsi's Muslim Brotherhood, which won heavily in general elections two years ago, have been arrested since mid-August.

AFP

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
S.Africa vows crackdown against xenophobic attacks
SOUTH Africa on Sunday vowed to hunt down those behind a wave of attacks targeting immigrants, saying 307 people had been arrested over violence that has left at least seven people dead...
700 feared dead in migrant shipwreck
SEVEN hundred people are feared dead after a fishing boat packed with migrants trying to reach Europe capsized off Libya...
Zuma urges foreigners to stay amid violence
PRESIDENT Jacob Zuma pleaded with foreigners to stay in South Africa as he cancelled a state visit to Indonesia to deal with a wave of deadly xenophobic violence...
South Africa attacks spark anger abroad
COUNTRIES neighbouring South Africa prepared to evacuate their citizens from South Africa as the UN raised the alarm over deadly xenophobic attacks...
Ebola-hit countries call for $8 bn aid plan
THE three West African countries hit hardest by the Ebola epidemic called for an $8 billion "Marshall Plan" to help rebuild their economies and boost prevention efforts...
UN envoys hear graphic accounts of Syria chemical attacks
The UN Security Council on Thursday heard graphic first-hand accounts from Syrian doctors of deadly chemical weapons attacks in their country, vowing it will take action against those responsible....
Should African countries expel South Africans?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter