National
Museveni congratulates Uhuru Kenyatta
Publish Date: Mar 09, 2013
Museveni congratulates Uhuru Kenyatta
President-elect Uhuru Kenyatta displays the certificate from Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) declaring him the winner of the countrys presidential election in Nairobi March 9, 2013.
  • mail
  • img
newvision

By Charles Etukuri

President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni has congratulated Kenya’s new President elect Uhuru Kenyatta upon his victory in the just concluded elections.

Museveni also congratulated the people of Kenya for conducting peaceful elections stating that, “Their conduct has redeemed the honour of Kenya and Africa.”

“I am writing to congratulate you on the historic victory you achieved by winning the tightly contested Presidential election in Kenya. Ugandans and the NRM congratulate you,” read the Presidents letter.

The President said that Uganda looked forward to consolidating the brotherly relations between the two countries within the wider East African and the Great Lakes region.

The United States embassy also issued a statement saying it would continue to be a strong friend of the Kenyan people and that all disputes should be handled through the courts.

The Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission chairman Isaac Hassan announced Kenyatta President elect after fulfilling the constitutional requirements. Kenyatta garnered 6,173,433 votes, representing 50.07 per cent of the total votes cast and getting 25 per cent in 32 of Kenya's 47 Counties.

But the Coalition for Reform and Democracy Presidential candidate Raila Odinga who came second  protested Uhuru’s win terming it illegitimate.

Addressing a press conference a few hours after the IEBC had declared Uhuru the winner, Raila said the whole exercise had been riddled with rigging.

He said, that the IEBC blundered like the previous Electoral Commission headed by the late Samuel Kivuitu. Raila cited the failure of the Electronic computerized system that gave way to manual vote tallying maintaining that registers had been tampered with.

He urged his supporters to remain calm and that the CORD team was heading to the Supreme Court.

 FULL STATEMENT

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
University cautioned over Mbabazi invite
Ambiance Discotheque in Masaka municipality has stopped Mutesa 1 Royal University from inviting the former prime minister as chief guest at their Saturday beauty contest....
Ex-PM Mbabazi entitled to sh2.1m pension
Former Prime Minister Amama Mbabazi once said he was not finished and indeed he is not, especially in the wallet....
Mother declines cash to marry off P.6 daughter
A 37-year-old woman from eastern Uganda is the talk of the town after she rejected sh602,000 from a suitor who wanted to marry her daughter....
14 killed in DR Congo machete attack
THE incursion by the Ugandan rebel group ADF took place overnight in the town of Kampi ya Chui....
Businessman sues UNRA over Entebbe Expressway
A businessman has dragged UNRA to court seeking sh5b in damages for loss of business and the inconvenience over the construction of the Entebbe Expressway....
US Commander of Africa Forces visits
President Yoweri Museveni has said that the main challenge in Somalia today was clan-related issues. The President made the remarks at State House Entebbe in a meeting with the United States of America Commander of Africa Forces, General David Rodriguez....
Should the absence of bride price prevent couples from wedding?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter