National
New security measures for Kasubi tombs
Publish Date: Feb 02, 2013
New security measures for Kasubi tombs
The Kasubi Tombs are a key cultural heritage for the Buganda Kingdom.
  • mail
  • img
newvision

By John Semakula

Buganda Government plans to issue a chain of security measures to be fulfilled by anyone before being let to access the Kasubi tombs starting 2014.

The measures are set to boost security at the tombs which were destroyed by fire in March 2010 (pictured right below).

Buganda Government spokesperson Charles Peter Mayiga told New Vision that the measures will be issued during the unveiling of the tombs early 2014.

The reconstruction of Kasubi tombs started in January and Omega Construction is doing the work at a cost of sh2.3bn. Mayiga said a lot of emphasis is now being put on security.

He added that a chain of royal body guards who are in charge of providing security at the tombs have also been retrained and re-equipped for serious security challenges.

The Kingdom also plans to install fire detectors and fighting equipment in the tombs.

Mayiga said that the fire equipment was donated by the Japanese Kingdom through United Nations Education, and Scientific, Culture Organization (UNESCO) at sh1.2bn for the firefighting gargets.

“The fire equipment will be installed by the Japanese as soon as the reconstruction of the tombs is finished,” Mayiga said.

The budget for the construction of Kasubi tombs is sh10bn and so far, people living in Buganda Kingdom have raised sh850m towards the cause.

The central government contributed sh2b to the project.

People who contribute sh50,000 and above are given certificates while those who give less that amount are given receipts.

People contributing funds can send funds via Mobile Money or take it to Bulange Mengo, the Kingdom’s headquarters.

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
MSF quits Sudan states over government
Medical charity Doctors Without Borders (MSF) announced Thursday its withdrawal from two conflict-hit Sudanese states, saying the government had made it impossible to provide help....
Hypertension rate in Buikwe, Mukono up - survey
More than one in every five adults aged 15 years and above in the two districts of Buikwe and Mukono have hypertension according to a survey released on Wednesday....
Mother arrested attempting to sell own baby
Police in Mityana district have arrested a woman trying to sell her three-week-old baby.Christine Atumuhiire, a resident of Madudu village, Mubende district was arrested on Monday after she approached a witch- doctor in Mityana requesting him to buy her baby for ritual sacrifice....
Minister Tumwebaze sacking rumour false - Gov’t
The minister in charge of the Presidency and Kampala Capital City Authority, Frank Tumwebaze, is not on forced leave. He is on annual official leave, Government has clarified....
School boss dies during Police recruitment
A 27-year-old man who had turned up for the on-going police recruitment exercise at the Fort Portal regional police headquarters collapsed and died after a 4 KM run....
Man slaughters
Police are hunting for a man suspected to have slaughtered his friend who had just returned from Iraq for holiday...
Do you agree with the new tax on private schools?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter