Sport
Brazil's first 2014 World Cup stadium holds matches
Publish Date: Jan 28, 2013
newvision
  • mail
  • img

RIO DE JANEIRO - The Arena Castelao, the first of Brazil's 2014 World Cup stadiums to be completed, held its first matches on Sunday - a doubleheader in the northeastern Copa do Nordeste.

But despite the inspiration of having World Cup record goalscorer Ronaldo in the stands of the stadium opened by President Dilma Rousseff last month the teams managed only one goal to mark the occasion.

Fortaleza and Sport drew 0-0 before Bahia beat Ceara 1-0 with a goal from former Brazil and Manchester United midfielder Kleberson.

The matches were preceded by a ceremony attended by Ronaldo, Brazil's sports Minister Aldo Rebelo, FIFA general secretary Jerome Valcke and Jose Maria Marin, president of the Brazilian Football Confederation.

Sunday's matches in the Gaucho championship in the southern state of Rio Grande do Sul were cancelled after the tragic deaths of more than 200 people in a fire at a night club in the city of Santa Maria.

The state's top clubs Internacional and Gremio posted messages on their websites declaring three days of mourning and put their flags at half mast in their stadiums.

The main attraction was to have been former Brazil coach Dunga's first game in charge of Internacional at Caxias.

Brazilian champions Fluminense drew 1-1 with Botafogo in the season's first major "classico" in the Carioca (Rio) championship.

Fluminense, also the Carioca champions, went ahead through winger Wellington Nem after a one-two with right back Bruno in the 38th minute.

Botafogo hit back after the interval when former Dutch international Clarence Seedorf, who came on as a substitute, crossed for central defender Bolivar to head the equaliser.

Brazil ace Neymar saved Santos from defeat with a last minute penalty, his fourth goal in three matches, for a 1-1 draw with Bragantino in the Paulista (Sao Paulo) championship.

Neymar, who helped Santos win the Paulista title the last three years, was tightly marked and unable to repeat his brilliant performances of previous matches.
 

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Mt. Elgon rally for Saturday and Sunday
As rally cars hit the road in Kumi, Bukedea and Mbale in the OiLibya Mt. Elgon Rally Saturday and Sunday, drivers have been warned to observe safety during the event....
Wait till 2019, says FUFA President Magogo
After another AFCON qualification setback FUFA is set to embark on the long term ‘Project Cameroon 2019’ where upcoming tournaments will be used to prepare a team for the finals in five years’ time....
Uganda sends five to World Swimming Championships
National Council of Sports General Secretary Jasper Aligawesa has advised Ugandan National swimmers to ensure they continue with their education alongside the sport....
Football legend Pele says he
Brazil football legend Pele, who has been hospitalized for three days suffering from a urinary infection, reached out to his fans via social media Thursday to say he's "doing fine."...
Uganda mourns test cricketer Phillip Hughes
There are several angles to Phillip Hughes’ death and one of them is Ugandan.The Hughes’ tragedy is a Ugandan tragedy because at the very basic level, it is a human tragedy....
Handball goes to the beach
The 3rd edition of the Rotary Beach Handball tournament takes place on Saturday at Sports Beach, Entebbe....
Should Govt lease parts of Lake Victoria to private developers?
Its Ok
No Way
Not Sure
follow us
subscribe to our news letter