By John Odyek
The ministry of internal affairs has set a new date for the rolling out of the National Identity (ID) card mass enrolment exercise.
Last month, the ministry said the mass enrolment programme would start on February 17 (Monday) in all the parishes across the country.
However Pamela Ankunda, the ministry’s communications officer, told New Vision the enrolment exercise will start in April.
In addition, a statement issued by Ankunda did not explain the delay in the commencement of the mass enrolment exercise. Instead, it explained the activities carried out so far.
The key activities which the ministry highlighted included interviewing more than 10,000 applicants for the different jobs during the National ID project.
Ankunda said the project has a budget of sh285b, which the Government is releasing in phases to meet the various workplans.
“We have received new digital cameras which can take pictures that meet international standards. Kit-testing is taking place, sensitization with various institutions that will use the cards such as banks are ongoing. We are meeting various groups and parties to deliver messages to their constituencies,” she said.
“This is a sensitive project. Precision during the whole process is considered so that no mishaps are realized.
“We appeal to political leaders, cultural leaders, religious leaders, employers, civil society, academic institutions, parents, guardians and individuals to treat this as a national project; it is nonpartisan,” said Ankunda.
New date set for ‘sensitive’ mass ID enrolment