SPORT & FUNDING
Government has increased its financial support to sports to sh6.78b for the third quarter (January-March) in the sports budget.
The increase comes at a time of major upcoming sports events.
The She Cranes ( Uganda netball team), who recently travelled to Barbados for different friendly ties ahead of the forthcoming Commonwealth Games in Australia, are some of the beneficiaries of the government support.
Others include The Bombers (National boxing team) that managed to win three gold and two silver medals at the Bingwa Wa Bingwa competition in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania last week.
Some of the money will be used by the Rugby Cranes in their trial games in the HSBC World Rugby Series in Dubai, Hong Kong and South Africa in preparation for their debut at the 2018 Commonwealth Games.
Part of it will also be used to purchase a new bus for the Uganda Cranes (football team).
Generally, th beneficiaries in general include;
- Federation of Uganda Football Associations (Sh2.195b)
- Federation of Uganda Basketball Associations (Sh619m)
- Uganda Athletics Federation (Sh519m)
- Uganda Boxing Federation (Sh340m)
- Uganda Netball Federation (Sh775m)
- Associations of Uganda University Sports (Sh300m)
- Uganda Rugby Union (Sh120m)
- Uganda Paralympic Committee (Sh100m)
- XXI Commonwealth Games (Sh1.55b)
- Other compliant National Sports Associations (Sh260m)