News in brief...

By Vision Reporter

<b>Electricity kills 8-year-old pupil</b> <br>BUTALEJA-An eight-year-old boy died instantly in Busolwe after he got electrocuted. Ismail Ngula, who was returning from school, stepped on a live wire that was lying on the ground on Kapere access road.

Electricity kills 8-year-old pupil
BUTALEJA-An eight-year-old boy died instantly in Busolwe after he got electrocuted. Ismail Ngula, who was returning from school, stepped on a live wire that was lying on the ground on Kapere access road. The district Police chief, Fred Lukoya, said the deceased, a son of Malijan Hamba, was in P.1 at Busolwe Primary School. He blamed the incident on the rampant practice of residents connecting electricity illegally into their homes. Police and Umeme officials removed the body from the scene and handed it over to the relatives of the deceased.

‘Taking HIV tests important’
JINJA-Despite the availability of voluntary counselling and testing services in most parts of the country, many people do not want to find out their HIV status, a doctor has said. The deputy district director of health services, Dr. Sarah Byakika, noted that many people know the importance of establishing their sero-status, but were reluctant to take the test. “We have test kits but people are not making use of them. This could be due to lack of adequate sensitisation,” she said. She regretted that although Uganda had registered tremendous success in reducing the spread of the scourge, recent studies had shown an upward trend in infection in the past three years. Byakika, who is also the outgoing chairperson of the Aids Information Centre branch advisory committee, was last week addressing members at the town hall.

Kyabazinga given furniture
JINJA-Uganda Breweries has donated furniture to the office of the Kyabazinga Henry Wako Muloki. The Bell Extra Lager brand manager, Brandon Ssemanda, last week handed over the furniture and other office equipment to the institution’s prime minister, Prof. Wasswa Balunywa, at Bugembe in the Isebantu’s office. Ssemanda said the items that included a six-seater leather sofa set, two cabins, glass tables, eight chairs and carpets, were valued at sh15m. He added that the donation was part of the company’s social corporate responsibility by giving back to the people. Balunywa thanked the company for responding positively whenever approached for assistance.

News in brief...