Preliminary toxicological test results carried out on samples of super cereal stocks taken from affected areas in the districts of Napak and Amudat are expected to be released this week by the Government Analytical Laboratory and the Central Public Health Laboratory.
The World Food Programme (WFP) suspended the distribution of the food over the weekend as the situation became apparent.
The UN food agency together with Ugandan authorities have since been working together to establish the cause of the suspected food poisoning.
According to the health minister, Jane Ruth Aceng, the toxicological tests were authorised by the government following reports of suspected food poisoning in the two districts of Karamoja. Three people have so far been confirmed dead.
“Samples of super cereal stocks and water were taken from the affected areas including blood, vomitus and urine from patients and are currently being analysed at the Directorate of Government Analytical Laboratory and the Central Public Health Laboratory,” Aceng told journalists on Tuesday during a press conference at the Uganda Media Centre.
“Preliminary results of the government investigation are expected in the next 24 hours,” she said.
262 people in Napak and Amudat districts were admitted in various health centres with symptoms of mental confusion, vomiting, headache, high fever and abdominal pain following the suspected super cereal food poisoning.
“A total of 252 of those (262) were discharged following successful treatment at health facilities in Amudat and Napak. No new admissions have been reported since March 18,” she added.