ALCOHOL TOBACCO SMOKING FIRE
Residents of Kahunde village Kagadi town council in Kagadi district woke up in shock after one of their own was discovered dead in her house.
Flora Tibananuka, 86, was found dead after the fire burnt the bed she was sleeping on Wednesday night.
According to residents, Tibananuka has been living alone in an isolated house in Kahunde and is said to have left the candle burning, which could have resulted into the fire that took her life.
Luke Thembo, the chairperson LC1 Kahunde, said Tibananuka, also used to take alcohol.
“This woman has been staying alone and taking alcohol and we suspect she could have died after a candle burnt the mattress she was sleeping on,” said Thembo.
Thembo said that the deceased has also been smoking tobacco, which could also be the source of the fire that took her life.
Flora Kwemaramara, a resident of Kahunde village, told New Vision that she found smoke coming out of the house as she was going to the garden.
“When I saw smoke coming from the house, I suspected something was amiss and on checking, I discovered she had already died,” said Kwemaramara.
The district Police commander Kagadi Romeo Ojara said that he had sent the district criminal investigations officer Moses Muramuzi to the scene to ascertain the incident.
Ojara described the incident as unfortunate and advised the public to avoid sleeping in houses alone because may be her life would have been saved if there were other people staying in the house.
Late Tibananuka survived by one child with grandchildren.