By Anthony Bugembe
RESIDENTS of Naguru-Nakawa housing estate will be compensated and resettled elsewhere before the redevelopment of the estate.
â€œI have been directed to communicate to the public and the media in particular that the residents of the Naguru-Nakawa estate must remain calm. It is not true that the government and the president have directed that these people be evicted (before compensation),â€ Nakawa resident disctrict commissioner Fred Bamwine said on Saturday.
He said President Museveni had met all stakeholders to decide the fate of the 1,437 families. The estate was established by the colonial administration for low-income earners in the 1950s.
â€œIt was agreed that the project of building a satellite town must continue and the residents must benefit in a way. The ministry of finance must look for money to buy land and build low-cost housing units for the residents.â€
Last month, it was reported that the President had directed that the residents be evicted to pave way for a $300m (sh600b) housing project.
Bawmine told journalists that the false rumour was being circulated by Sarah Eperu and the FDC party.
But Eperu said: â€œI am a resident of the estate. Giving people the right information is not misinforming them. The president directed that we leave by April 7 and that we would lodge complaints after leaving.â€