Annet Nabachwa, who was a businesswoman dealing in produce and a resident of Jjeza, allegedly succumbed to Covid-19 on Saturday.
MPIGI - The residents of Kibumbiro village in Muduuma sub-county, Mpigi district, were shocked on Monday evening, when family members grabbed a body of their relative, suspected to have died of covid-19, from health ministry officials and buried it.
Annet Nabachwa, who was a businesswoman dealing in produce and a resident of Jjeza, located in Muduuma sub-county, Mpigi district, allegedly succumbed to Covid-19 on Saturday, from Entebbe Grade B Hospital.
Nabachwa's daughter, Phionah Nalwoga, said her mother was first admitted to Mengo Hospital on Thursday.
She was later subjected to a COVID-19 test after medics said she had started showing some symptoms.
"When the results came back and showed my mother was positive, it surprised me because all I knew, she had asthma, sinuses and diabetes. She had lived with them for years," Nabachwa said.
She added that on Thursday last week, her condition worsened, which prompted them to transfer her to Mengo Hospital.
"The medics advised me to go back home, to avoid contracting the virus.
On learning that she had passed on, a group of four health officials from Mpigi district came to our home and took samples from me," she said.
"However, members of the family and some residents attacked the health officials, accusing them of negligence," she added.
According to Jjeza local council chairperson Abbas Bwanika, when they learnt about the demise of their colleague, they liaised with her family, to ensure the Government returns the body for a decent burial.
He said to their dismay, they got contradicting information at the last minute, indicating that along the way, the health officials realised they had carried a different body. The burial was postponed to Monday.
On Monday, burial arrangements were made after the deceased's family promised to allow the health ministry officials to conduct the burial.
However, when the body arrived, family members descended on the ministry's pick-up vehicle and grabbed the casket that contained Nabachwa's remains. The officials fled the scene.
Later, the health burial team returned to the burial site, escorted by a Police patrol vehicle, but by then, the family had completed the burial process.
The Ministry of Health spokesperson, Emmanuel Ainebyoona, condemned the act, adding that attacking their officials is contrary to the statutory orders that were issued by the ministry.