Returning from a knee injury, Cheptegei easily took on the race.
Joshua Cheptegei ran to victory at the 34th edition of the Dam tot Damloop, a ten-mile IAAF Silver Label road race Sunday in the Netherlands.
Returning from a knee injury since his 5000/10,000m double at the Commonwealth Games in Australia, Cheptegei easily took on the race from the city of Amsterdam to Zaandam, a city in the province of North Holland, Netherlands, to win in a personal best time of 45:15 ahead of Kenya’s Alfred Ngeno.
In the women’s race, Uganda’s Mercyline Chelangat only managed a fourth place finish failing to defend her title.
Lonah Salpeter a Kenyan-Israeli won the women’s race.
1. Joshua Cheptegei, UGANDA 45:15
2. Alfred Ngeno, KENYA 45:41
3. Afewerki Berhane, ERITREA 46:04
4. Bashir Abdi, BELGIUM (Somali born) 46:08
1. Lonah Salpeter, ISREAL 50:45
2. Dibabe Kuma, ETHOPIA 50:46
3. Susan Krumins, NETHERLANDS 51:30
4. Mercyline Chelangat, UGANDA 52:08