TOP
Monday,September 24,2018 11:42 AM
  • Home
  • National
  • Security report on Arua-Kampala riots ready—Museveni

Security report on Arua-Kampala riots ready—Museveni

By David Lumu

Added 11th September 2018 10:38 AM

Museveni, who was addressing the nation on Sunday night, said he will soon analyse the report and examine what transpired.

Rjt53111 703x422

Museveni, who was addressing the nation on Sunday night, said he will soon analyse the report and examine what transpired.

A board of inquiry instituted and chaired by the Chief of Defence Forces (CDF), Gen. David Muhoozi, to inquire into the recent battering of journalists and civilians during the free Bobi Wine riots that rocked Kampala on August 19 and the alleged violence that marred Arua Municipality by-elections, has finished its report, President Yoweri Museveni has said.

Museveni, who was addressing the nation on Sunday night, said he will soon analyse the report and examine what transpired.

The President, who had earlier convened and chaired a security sub-committee meeting at State House, Entebbe on Sunday, also condemned all forms of torture.

Quoting from his May 15, 2017 letter to security officials, Museveni said he instructed the commanders of security agencies in the country to stop using torture to extract confessions from suspects, saying the practice is wrong and unnecessary.

The President argues that torture undermines the fight against crime.

Kyadondo East MP, Robert Kyagulanyi aka Bobi Wine, is among the several politicians and civilians that were arrested and charged with treason over allegations that they orchestrated violence during campaigns in Arua, including pelting the presidential motorcade with stones.

On August 19, #freeBobiWine riots rocked Kampala city, forcing security forces to intervene. Over 100 people were arrested and investigations are going on, according to security minister, Gen. Elly Tumwine.

During the riots, journalists were also battered by both military and police officers as they covered the events.

Both Police and UPDF commanders have since regretted the battering of journalists, pledging that culprits would face the law.

 

Related Articles

More From The Author

Related articles