Two people were electrocuted and died on spot in Buyanja, Rukungiri while erecting the tent for the funeral service for the late Major Gordon Kakoko of Rwenyangi, Rwakirungura Buyanja Rukungiri who died over the weekend in Kampala.
Elly Matte the Kigezi regional police spokesman said the incident happened on Wednesday at around 4:45pm when they were arranging the funeral service for their departed friend Maj. Gordon Kakoko at his home in Rwenyangi. He said other two sustained serious injuries and were rushed to Nyakibale hospital for treatment.
Maate identified those electrocuted as Alex Nahurira,55, a businessman in Buyanja town council and Ambrose Rwabwera, 36, a resident of Rwenyangi cell, Rwakirungura parish Buyanja sub county Rukungiri district, they died on spot.
Maate said they were putting up a tent when its pick touched on a three phase high voltage electrical wire which killed two instantly.
Two others got injuries and were rushed to Nyakibale hospital for treatment and were identified as Robert Gumisiriza,40, and Ronald Tukamushaba,27, all residents of Rwakirungura.
Late Gordon Kakoko will be buried on Thursday while those electrocuted will be laid to rest on Friday.
Buyanja Sub county chairperson, Moses Agaba said it was unfortunate to lose two people on spot when they were showing solidarity in arranging a funeral of their colleague. He said government and people of Buyanja have lost hard working men who used to work hard not only at funeral services but also at weddings. He said Alex Nahurira is always the chairperson of weddings in his area .