It was sombre mood on Friday afternoon as relatives and some of the victims who were shot on 23rd July, 2016, assembled at Kasese chief magistrates court waiting for the Police officer to appear in court.
Finally amidst heavy police deployment Opalat Bainomugisha, was escorted to the court room by heavily armed policemen under the command of the Rwenzori East Mobile Police Patrol Unit Angero Godfrey.
It did not take long before the Kasese grade one chief magistrate George Mfutindinda, read out the charges of murder and attempted murder which were preferred against the accused; he did not allow him to take plea, because all the charges were of capital nature which can only be handled by the High Court.
Bainomugisha, who looked calm in the dock for the over 30 minutes, was remanded to Mubuku Government Prison.
However some of the relatives of the victims, who were shot, were happy that Bainomugisha appeared in a competent court which will try him.
"We thought that the man would appear in the Police disciplinary court, but all the charges against him are of capital nature and we hope that justice will prevail because we have high hopes in the civilian court," said Bwambale Benjamin, the relative of one of the victims.
John Masereka, the relative of the boy who was killed said that the family has no intention of suing the Police but they will continue pursuing Bainomugisha as an individual.
"As a family we don't have any problem with the Police authority, they have supported us and they have carried out their investigations so far we don't have any problem with them," added Masereka.
Killings in Kyabarungira, Kasese
On the fateful, tragedy hit residents when a Police officer went on rampage killing a child and shooting several people in Kyabarungira Sub County.
The Police constable who was identified as Opalat Bainomugisha shot 8 people at a funeral vigil in Kayabarungira Sub County.
Isaac Masereka, 10, died on the spot while seven other people were rushed to Kilembe Mines Hospital in critical condition.
This was followed with fury from the entire community and the general public on the conduct of the Police officer.
The Police administration of Rwenzori East (Kasese) at the time did not give a comment about the shootings, an act that raised a lot of tension in the community.
However on Monday 25th July 2016, the Assistant Inspector General of Police and Head of Operations in the Uganda Police Force AIGP Asuman Mugyenyi visited the scene, condemned the act and called upon the community to remain calm as Police was going to take the necessary legal measures to apprehend the situation.
On top of that, Police met all the burial costs totalling to sh3m and contributed sh1m to each of the family of the victims who are in hospital and pledged to settle the medical bills of all the hospitalized victims.