By Taddeo Bwambale and agencies
Somali Prime Minister Abdiweli Sheikh Ahmed has declared ‘all-out war’ on al-Shabaab as AMISOM warned of more attacks by the al Qaeda-linked group in the country.
“I order the Somali National Army to ‘move now’ to eliminate the enemy wherever they are in the country. We must eradicate this enemy from our country,” Abdiweli said at a press briefing.
“We cannot tolerate that the enemy carries out such attacks on our people — we must all take part in the war,” the prime minister emphasized, urging the Somali people to help the army eliminate what he termed as the invading ‘enemy’.
Abdirahman Mahamed Turyare, the Somali High Military Court chairman, yesterday said every al Shabaab member will receive the death penalty and be shot dead when seized without postponement.
Turyare, who was appointed as the court’s chairman last week, said: “Al-Shabaab will not be released if seized. The Somali High Military Court will instantly sentence them to death. I request the security department to inform the court if they seize al-Shabaab members.”
“Al-Shabaab is an enemy and will be punished. I am informing al-Shabaab that they will meet the consequence of their acts if they fail to surrender,” he announced.
Turyare’s declaration came amidst further terrorist attacks. AMISOM spokesperson Ali Adan Xumad warned that the terrorist group was planning more attacks on key government installations.
Ten people were killed when al-Shabaab attacked Somalia’s Parliament where over 100 MPs were attending a session on Saturday.
A family member visits a wounded Somali army soldier as he receives treatment at the Madina hospital in Mogadishu, Somalia, on Sunday. PHOTO/AFP
Three Ugandan AMISOM peacekeepers died during the fierce fight in which 13 militants were gunned down by a joint force of combined force of the Somali National Army (SNA) and AMISOM. Four Somali soldiers and a police officer were also killed.
Maj. Deo Akiiki Asiimwe, the spokesman of Uganda’s contingent, yesterday said the condition of the injured soldiers was improving.
“They are in a stable condition and out of danger,” Akiiki said, adding that the situation in the area was under control. He, however, declined to give particulars of the deceased or reveal the funeral plans.
The director of Medina Hospital, Dr. Mohamed Yusuf, said most of those admitted at the hospital were suffering from minor injuries except two individuals who need further treatment.
Also related to this story
Fill in your Name and Email Address to receive a Free Newsletter
Somalia declares new war on al-Shabaab