ONDOGA who has been denied bail three times since he was charged last October before the General Court Martial, was moved from Makindye military police cells to Bombo Hospital
By Pascal Kwesiga
BRIG. Michael Ondoga, the former commander of the Ugandan troop contingent in Somalia, is currently undergoing an operation at Bombo Military Hospital, the army has said.
Ondoga, who has been denied bail three times since he was charged last October before the General Court Martial, was moved from Makindye military police cells on Wednesday to Bombo Hospital in Luweero district.
But the military police spokesperson, Capt. Geoffrey Burushana denied media reports that Ondoga collapsed in the cells where he has been detained for seven months.
“We decided to take him to Bombo for further management but he was not doing so badly and his condition is still stable,” he added.
Burushana explained that Ondoga has “a boil” in the urinary system that has necessitated a surgical procedure.
Ondoga was denied bail for the third time last week after the state said his health condition could still be managed at the military police hospital in Makindye.
Court chaired by Brig. Moses Ssentongo was slated to consider his bail application for another time on Monday, but it was not convened because one of the members lost a relative.
He has been asking for bail to enable him receive special treatment outside the military facility.
Ondoga is battling charges of failure to brief his bosses, lying about the position of the enemy and failure to discharge his duties as commander of the Ugandan army contingent in Somalia between 2012 and 2013.
Uganda is among African countries with peacekeepers in Somalia under the African Union mission in Somalia.
Brig. Ondoga undergoes operation