By Vision Reporters
For the last ten days, no new cases of Marburg fever have been reported in the country, raising hope that the epidemic is now under control.
Two people who were confirmed to have contracted the Marburg are recovering, the health ministry spokesperson, Rukia Nakamatte told the New Vision.
"We are on top of the situation. We have only two confirmed cases, a mother and her baby, who are improving," she stated.
At least 13 other people suspected to have the Marburg virus are admitted in health centres countrywide, but all have tested negative, Rukia disclosed.
At the height of the epidemic last month, eight people were confirmed to have died from Marburg, although more people succumbed to infections with signs similar to the disease.
All the markets in Kabale district which were closed for fear of aiding the spread of Marburg have been reopened.
Angry traders had complained to the state minister for primary health care, Sarah Opendi during her visit to the district on Monday, saying the closure of markets had affected their livelihood.
The first confirmed Murburg victim, Obed Tutegyereize and several other patients who were declared Marburg free last month, have since become ambassadors in the fight against the disease.
Compiled by Goodluck Musinguzi and Taddeo Bwambale
Fill in your Name and Email Address to receive a Free Newsletter
Marburg under control, says health ministry