World
UN Security Council to meet Wednesday on Libya
Publish Date: Feb 17, 2015
UN Security Council to meet Wednesday on Libya
  • mail
  • img
newvision

THE UN Security Council will meet Wednesday to discuss the situation in Libya after the apparent IS execution of 21 Egyptian Christians, with Egypt's foreign minister in attendance, diplomats said Tuesday.

 

The meeting follows the release of a videotape by the Islamic State group purportedly showing the mass beheading in Libya. Egypt launched retaliatory air strikes against IS targets in Libya on Monday.

 

Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry is in New York where he will also hold bilateral meetings with Security Council members and Arab representatives, diplomats said.

 

Egypt has asked the UN Security Council to provide a mandate for an international intervention in Libya, where fighting among rival militias has thrust the country into chaos.

 

France and Italy also called for a Security Council meeting to decide on "new measures" in Libya.

 

The meeting was scheduled for 3:00 pm (2000 GMT) Wednesday and was to be followed by closed-door consultations.

 

Shoukry will lay out the situation in public before the council, Britain's deputy permanent representative to the United Nations Peter Wilson told reporters.

 

Asked about the Egyptian demand for an intervention, Wilson said, "We are waiting to see what Foreign Minister Shoukry has to say."

 

While supporting the Egyptian request, Arab diplomats at the United Nations said they thought it would also require a formal request by the Libyan government.

 

But Libya currently has two governments and two rival parliaments, one close to the Fajr Libya coalition and the other recognized by the international community and based in Tobruk.

 

An intervention "requires a lot of Europeans to come in, it requires a UN blessing and it requires also a letter from the Libyan government saying that it will allow troops to get in," Iraq's ambassador to the United Nations, Mohamed Ali Alhakim, said.

 

"Without that, the UN cannot move."

 

UN diplomats said they expected no decisions on Wednesday, or even a council statement at the end of the meeting.

 

Russia and China have been notoriously reluctant to support interventions under a UN banner. Moscow accused the United Nations of overstepping its role when it adopted resolutions that led to the international military operation that helped oust Libyan leader Moamer Kadhafi in 2011.

AFP

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Hajj stampede death toll tops 2,200
THE death toll from last month''s hajj stampede has topped 2,200, according to tallies given by foreign officials, making it by far the deadliest disaster in the pilgrimage''s history...
Oil prices rebound on bargain-hunting
World oil prices rose Thursday on bargain-hunting after a sharp decline the day before, although analysts said the market remains hobbled by an oversupply....
US slams Assad
The White House issued a scathing attack on Russia's "red carpet" welcome for Syrian President Bashar al-Assad on Wednesday, accusing Moscow of impeding progress towards a political transition by propping up the strongman....
Anti-secrecy campaign Wikileaks boasted Wednesday that it had obtained CIA director John Brennan's personal emails and was about to make them public...
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Wednesday backtracked on his claim that a Palestinian leader gave Hitler the idea to exterminate Jews after widespread controversy and a flood of online mockery....
Two Chinese diplomats shot dead in Philippines
TWO Chinese diplomats were killed and a third was injured in a gun attack at a restaurant in the central Philippine city of Cebu on Wednesday...
In light of the recent strikes,should public universities be privatised?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter