Health
Nigeria warns against complacency in Ebola fight
Publish Date: Aug 28, 2014
Nigeria warns against complacency in Ebola fight
A man reads a poster raising awareness on the Ebola virus reading "the risk of Ebola is still there. Let us apply the protective measures together" in Abidjian, Ivory Coast
  • mail
  • img
newvision


ABUJA - Nigeria's health minister has warned against complacency in the country's fight against Ebola, despite only one patient remaining in hospital with the virus.

Onyebuchi Chukwu announced on Tuesday that two more people had been released from isolation, taking the total number of patients to have been successfully treated to seven. Five people have died in Nigeria since July 25.

But the minister cautioned against congratulatory headlines that suggested the virus had been eradicated in Africa's most populous nation and reports that parties had been thrown to celebrate.

Instead, he said the country was "doing well on containment", likening the situation to trapping a wild animal in a cage.

"Nigeria has been successful at containment. But have we eliminated the disease? No," he told reporters in Abuja.

The World Health Organization has said it was encouraged by the fact that all confirmed cases of Ebola in Nigeria had come from a single chain of transmission and there had been no incidences of the virus outside Lagos.
 


The Ebola virus has killed more than 1,000 people in West Africa. (AFP)


Chukwu, however, said that "nothing stops someone coming with a fresh case" and that the patient currently in hospital needed to be managed and any contacts they may have had kept under surveillance.

"Until we give a clean bill of health to every contact, we cannot say we have eliminated the disease," he added, warning that it was "still possible" to have several more confirmed cases.

"Even if... we have been able to discharge all contacts, as long there is one case of Ebola Virus Disease anywhere in the world and people are allowed to travel, every country in the world remains at risk."

He added: "We only stop being at risk when the very last case of Ebola Virus Disease under this current epidemic has gone."

Nigeria's Education Minister Ibrahim Shekarau announced on Tuesday that both public and private schools would remain closed until October 13 as a precaution against Ebola.

Students had been due to resume classes on September 15.

President Goodluck Jonathan had previously announced an extension to the summer break and Chukwu said he saw no contradiction in the measure as having large groups of children together could cause "problems".

AFP

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Condoms
Ugandan MPs have been inundated with complaints that many condoms on sale are too small, warning the problem is a blow to the fight against AIDS....
New super-thin, skin-like condom being developed
The billionaire philanthropist says progress is being made on developing a "next-generation" ultra-thin, skin-like condom that could offer better sexual pleasure,...
Students push for Tobacco Control Bill passing
Students from five universities are petitioning parliament to pass the tobacco control bill, arguing that it has stayed too long on the shelf....
Mulago Hospital improves patients’ diet
Uganda’s national referral health facility Mulago Hospital has made adjustments to the meals it serves its in-patients, with a special diet introduced....
Obama: Ebola crisis
President Barack Obama issues a global call to action to fight the Ebola epidemic, warning the deadly outbreak was "spiraling out of control"....
200 Ugandan patients for sickle cell drug trial
At least 200 patients are to take part in a clinical trial for a more effective drug used to treat sickle cell anaemia....
Should bride price be made optional?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter