Sport
Strife-torn Libya withdraw as 2017 CAN hosts
Publish Date: Aug 25, 2014
Strife-torn Libya withdraw as 2017 CAN hosts
  • mail
  • img
newvision

JOHANNESBURG - Strife-torn Libya have withdrawn as hosts of the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations, the Confederation of African Football (CAF) said Saturday.

The decision was not surprising amid intense fighting between Islamist and nationalist fighters in the oil-rich North African state.

Rival militia are battling for power in a vacuum created after the collapse three years ago of the Moamer Kadhafi dictatorship.

Libya were scheduled to stage the 2013 Cup of Nations, but swapped with 2017 hosts South Africa in the hope that peace would be restored.

However, the power struggle has intensified recently with Tripoli airport closed since July as militia fight for control of the gateway to the country.

The withdrawal was announced after a Libyan delegation met CAF president Issa Hayatou.

CAF have set a September 30 deadline for applications to host the 2017 tournament with Algeria a likely candidate.

Morocco are scheduled to host the 2015 Cup of Nations.

Confirming the news CAF announced in a statement: "Libya will no longer host the Africa Cup of Nations in 2017.

"A Libyan delegation led by the country's Minister of Youth and Sports and included the president of the Libyan Football Federation revealed in a meeting with CAF President Issa Hayatou that owing to the unstable security situation in the country, Libya would not be able to host the Afcon in 2017.

"Consequently, the Secretary General of CAF, Hicham El Amrani, dispatched a circular on 23rd August, 2014 to all 54 member associations informing them of the decision and opening bids for the hosting of the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations."

RELATED STORIES:

Foreigners urged to leave Libya amid rising violence

Libya's Muslim Brotherhood threatens to quit cabinet

Bomb at military academy kills five in Libya's Benghazi

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Serena turns
A delighted Serena Williams paid tribute to her family and her humble beginnings after making history with her 19th Grand Slam title at the Australian Open on Saturday....
NCS to disband 50 sports associations
There is confusion in local sports bodies after expiry of a period within which they were supposed to comply with new regulations....
AFCON has been a great spectacle, says BBC pundit
The 2015 Africa Cup of Nations has somewhat lived up to expectation. Apart from the few goals that the tournament has registered so far, the quality of football has been impressive with giants such as Senegal and Cameroon being shown the exit before the knockout stages....
Arthur Blick eyes double
Former national motocross champion Arthur Blick Jr. targets wining this year’s MX1 title and the National Rally Championship (NRC)....
Saints to test KCCA for CAF tie
KCCA will have three build-up matches ahead of its CAF Champions League preliminary encounter with Cameroon''s Cosmos De Baia....
No punch in FUFA’s mid-season transfers
As the FUFA mid-season players’ transfer window closes tomorrow, the Uganda Premier League (UPL) clubs appear to have had very little interest....
Will a ban on Waragi sold in sachets reduce consumption of Alcohol?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter