today's Pick
Man gets 10 million dollars for wrongful conviction
Publish Date: Aug 21, 2014
Man gets 10 million dollars for wrongful conviction
The US man has been rewarded after spending 16 years in jail for a crime he never commited
  • mail
  • img
newvision

NEW YORK - A New York man was awarded $10 million after spending 16 years in prison for a murder he did not commit, his lawyer said Wednesday.

Jabbar Collins, now 42, was convicted and sent to prison for the February 1994 murder of Abraham Pollack, an Orthodox rabbi who had been collecting rent at a Brooklyn building.

Collins, who is African American, was 21 when he was sent to prison in March 1995. He was sentenced to a lengthy prison sentence based mainly on testimony of witnesses who claimed that they had seen him fleeing the scene of the crime.

But he was exonerated in 2010.

Collins "has settled his lawsuit against the City of New York for $10 million," his attorney Joel Rubin said in a statement.

Previously, Collins had settled an unjust conviction lawsuit with the state of New York for $3 million.

Both the city and the state agreed to a settlement to avoid a trial.

While in prison, Collins studied law, and learned that one of the witnesses retracted his testimony before the trial, but his defense lawyer was never notified.

Police wrote a statement that the witness said he signed under duress to avoid being charged in another case.

Collins also discovered other inconsistencies, so he appealed.

US District Judge Dora Irizarry vacated his conviction due to pervasive misconduct by the office of District Attorney Charles Hynes, which she termed "shameful."

New York has recently settled several cases of people wrongfully convicted by Hynes in the 1980s and 1990s.

Other examples include five men unjustly accused of murdering a runner in Central Park in 1989, when they were teenagers. The men were awarded $1 million for each year they spent in prison.

Since leaving prison, Collins has worked as a paralegal at his lawyer's office, "but now has plans to take a lengthy leave of absence and then to enter the ministry," Rubin's statement said.

"He plans to continue his work in wrongful conviction cases."

AFP

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
THE invasive Giant Salvinia Molesta, locally referred to as the Nankabirwa weed, which is fast spreading on the lake will soon have a devastating effect...
A Spanish judge charged 10 Catholic priests with committing or abetting sexual abuse of a teenage altar boy, court papers showed Wednesday, in a case Pope Francis helped bring to light....
World
A potent symbol of the nightmare enveloping west Africa at the height of the Ebola outbreak, the ELWA-3 treatment centre is being dismantled and incinerated bit by bit as the region emerges from catastrophe....
Apple Watch to go on sale in April
THE Apple Watch will start shipping in April to consumers, according to Apple CEO Tim Cook...
Analogue TVs to be switched off in 3 months
HOUSEHOLDS which are still using analogue television sets have barely three months to upgrade to digital if they are to continue watching television...
Somali ex-Shebab chief tells others to surrender
A former top commander from Somalia''s Al-Qaeda-affiliated Shebab rebels, Zakariya Ismail Ahmed Hersi, called on his former comrades Tuesday to follow his lead and surrender to the country''s internationally-backed government....
Is gambling the cause of poverty amomg youth?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter