National
Lawyers fault Makerere over admissions
Publish Date: Aug 19, 2014
Lawyers fault Makerere over admissions
  • mail
  • img
newvision

By Edward Anyoli

THE lawyers representing a student who dragged Makerere University to court over denying him admission to study law insist that the University is at fault.

John Musime and Oscar Kihika on Tuesday argued that Public University Joint Admission Board does not exist in law therefore Makerere should not use it as an excuse to deny Johney Manzi Murungi a chance to pursue a course he desires.

The lawyers told High Court presided over by Justice Yasin Nyanzi that if Public University Joint Admission was a requirement, Makerere University should have indicated  in  letters  inviting applications from  those intending  to join the University.

Musime said Makerere is illegally refusing to admit Manzi without basing itself on a given law and violating his rights to education.

Manzi filed his application for Judicial Review through Byenkya, Kihika and Company. He wants court order Makerere to admit him as a government sponsored student and also award him monetary damages for injury he has suffered as a result of   the suit.

“My lord as the facts will show Public University Admission (PUJAB) has nothing at all to do with pre- entry examinations or admission,” Musime said.

Former student of Naalya Senior Secondary School Johney Manzi (left), his father John Baptist Byaruhanga (centre) mother Mary Tusabe (second left) and Timothy Byekwaso, after the submission by his lawyers at Tweed Towers. Photo by Kennedy Oryema

“Isat for pre-entry examination and scored 63% thereby emerging the 36th best performing candidate at the sitting,” Manzi said.

On the   issue that Manzi sued a wrong party, Musime argued that Makerere University   is a corporate sole with ability to sue and be sued.

Musime said Makerere bears the responsibility because it invited applications, set examinations and accepted payments from 1500 students seeking to study law.

Makerere University lawyer represented by Kateera Kagumire and Company Advocates will respond to the issue raised by Manzi’s lawyers on Wednesday. 

Manzi who is 19- years old was accompanied to court by his father John Baptist Byaruhanga.

The statements, comments, or opinions expressed through the use of New Vision Online are those of their respective authors, who are solely responsible for them, and do not necessarily represent the views held by the staff and management of New Vision Online.

New Vision Online reserves the right to moderate, publish or delete a post without warning or consultation with the author.Find out why we moderate comments. For any questions please contact digital@newvision.co.ug

  • mail
  • img
blog comments powered by Disqus
Also In This Section
Bwaise youth given practical skills
Sports betting and gambling are fast becoming a serious challenge to youth employment in Kampala City since majority of losers in betting resort to crime including robbing and hitting people with iron bars....
‘Jamwa did not cause any financial loss to NSSF’
City lawyer Fred Mpanga has asked the Court of Appeal to acquit former NSSF managing director David Chandi Jamwa of abuse of office and causing financial loss....
Works ministry calls for UNRA independent procurement
The Uganda National Roads Authority (UNRA) has paved 305km of roads this year closing in on the national development target of 1,100 kilometers of roads to be paved by 2015....
NMS procures 6400 mattresses for hospitals
ACCORDING to the Ministry of Health facility Inventory July, 2013, they are 48 government general hospitals with a bed capacity of 6000, 170 heath centres IVs with a bed capacity of 6,800...
MPs query sh60m UCC land deal
MPs have raised a red flag over Uganda Communications Commissions (UCC) official in a sh60m land deal, for flouting the PPDA Act...
Big strides made in fighting TB, says WHO
The known tally of people with tuberculosis rose last year but overall "major progress" is being made in rolling back the disease, the World Health Organization (WHO) said Wednesday....
Was Oscar Pistorius' 5 year sentence fair and just?
Yes
No
Can't Say
follow us
subscribe to our news letter